⇜Chapter 10 ⇝

author's note: sorry everyone for this boring chapter but i feel like it needs to be written so the story will flow better. I already know what to write next but I'm being lazy right now because I had a REALLY BUSY week. I just need a little break then I'll start writing the next chapter.

           Shikamaru and I are walking side by side towards my new apartment. We are walking slow because I am following his pace and he’s being so slow. So it’s taking us longer to get to our destination. And it’s getting really awkward because we haven’t even said a word to each other since we left the Uchiha compound. I want to lessen this awkward feeling by having a conversation but I don’t know what to say. And it doesn’t seem like Shika wants to talk anyway. He even has his hands behind his head, his fingers intertwined, while walking leasurely and looking up at something. My guess, he’s watching the clouds again. Why he loves to stare at them might be something that I would never understand. What’s so special about the clouds anyway?

            “So ahm…what are you looking at?”

            Dumb question, I know. Because anyone who knows Shika WOULD know that he’s looking at the clouds. But I’ve got no other idea for an opening topic.

            “Clouds.”

            See? What else would he be looking at? I wanted to sigh but I can’t. It might offend him. So I just asked the next question that popped in my head, which I’m curious about anyway.

            “Why?”

            “Hmm?”He looked at me for a moment then looked back at the clouds again before he continued to answer my question. “Why? Hmm…well, they are slow.”

            Inner Mika:     =_________=

            He probably sensed my inner reaction because he continued to explain his reasoning. Hahaha

            “They’re slow so I don’t have to make much effort to follow their movement.”

            Movement? I looked up to look at the clouds. It seems like I’m looking at a canvas. There’s hardly any movement at all if any. Are they even moving? I really can’t tell. Maybe it’s just the sun affecting my vision. Or is it a special skill that ninjas have?

            I just nodded slowly since I really don’t know what to say. I’m kind of dumb-founded right now. After that we stayed silent again. I discreetly sighed. I feel less awkward but I also feel bored now.

            “Ahm? How much longer ‘til we get to the apartment?”

            “We’re not too far now”, was all he said. He never tore his sight away from those clouds until we reached an old building that looks obviously an apartment. It looks decent even if it’s old. It looks like it’s walls were painted a few years ago but I can see some cracks on them here and there.

            “Don’t worry. It won’t crush down”, Shika said. He probably guessed that I noticed the cracks on the walls and wanted to reassure me.

            “Ah, of course”, I said then smiled. But my smile quickly faded as soon as he looked away and started to head towards the stairs. Unless he puts a jutsu that will hold this building forever I won’t be convinced that it IS safe.

I followed him to the fifth floor which is the topmost floor level. We stopped in front of the second door to the left. Shikamaru fished a key in his pocket and unlocked the knob with it. He then opened the door and motioned for me to go in. I did as he asked. Once inside I scanned the room with my eyes. It’s a studio-type apartment. It’s small. It’s really just enough for one person. Well probably not enough for a teenage girl like me but it will do. Anyway I don’t have anything with me but my purse and the clothes on my back. And there’s hardly anything in it so I have room to move around. All I see is a small kitchen to my right with a tiny table and one chair. Then there’s a twin-size bed on the opposite side next to the only window. Yes, it only has one window. But at least it’s big enough to let in enough light from outside to brighten the room. In a corner there’s a closet and oh, I didn’t notice right away, but there’s also a tiny television set at the foot of the bed. To my right, next to the kitchen, is a door.

            “Where does that door lead to?”

            “The bathroom.”

            I nodded in response.

            “Well I hope you like your new place. It’s small but this is yours while you stay here in Konoha. And you’ll live here free of rent.”

            “Free!?”

            “Yes. You’re a guest of the village so you should not pay for your stay here”, he said casually. I really don’t get it. I thought I was a prisoner? The village’s enemy. So how did I become a guest? Not that I’m complaining but I deserve to know what the freaking hell is going on, right?

            “You’ll get your answers tomorrow, Mika. Right now you just need to rest. I’ll come get you tomorrow morning. Please be ready by 7 in the morning”, he said then procedeed to go towards the door. He turned the knob and pushed the door open but turned to face me before he went out.

            “Oh, by the way, my friend has filled your refrigerator with food and water. Hopefully you’ll see something you’ll like in it. Well, okay, I better go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            “Okay. Thank you.”