⇜ Chapter 20 ⇝

I opened the door of Tsunade’s office when I heard her say that I could come in. Inside, I saw her sitting behind her desk while Shizune is standing close to her. Naruto, Shikamaru and Sasuke are also inside.

            “You asked for me, Tsunade-sama?”

            “Yes.”

            “What can I do for you?”

“I heard about your….training…with Sasuke.”

            I immediately felt nervous. Of course the Hokage would hear about my fight with Sasuke. I wonder if she’s mad. Is this going to hinder my training? If it will then it means I have to stay here longer. That cannot happen! I can’t afford to have any delays. I can’t stay here that long.

            I caught Sasuke’s image at my peripheral vision.

            I just can’t.

            “Tsunade-sama I can explain…”

            “There’s no need for that.”

            “B—but…”

           Silence. The Hokage’s looking directly at my eyes. I tried my best to hold my gaze because I want her to see through my eyes that I’m not at fault. That my words can be trusted so she’ll hear me out. But in the end I gave up. I couldn’t stare at her eyes any longer and I lowered my gaze.

          “Sasuke, Naruto and Shikamaru are going on an A-rank mission”, I heard her say. I don’t know why she’s telling me that. I mean, so what if they’re going on a mission? But then I realized maybe it’s because Shikamaru won’t be available to train me while he’s on a mission that’s why the Hokage’s informing me about it. Is she going to assign me a new trainer while Shika’s gone?

            “I-I see.”  

            “You are going with them.”

            “What!?”

            “What!”

            Both Sasuke and I reacted with surprise.

“Cool. Mika’s going with us. This will be fun”, says the hyper and clueless Naruto. Sasuke glared at him for a second.

I am going on a mission? Why? I’m not a ninja. What do I know about missions?

            Sasuke didn’t waste time questioning Tsunade.

            “Why is she going?”

            Exactly my question.

            “She is not needed for this mission or any other missions.”

            “Sasuke.”

            “She’ll just slow us down. Or worse, get us all killed. If this is about her training…”

            “Sasuke!”

            “What?”

            “This is about her training, yes. But it’s not just that.”

            “What else?”, I asked, curious.

            “I did a lot of research with Shizune to help you go home. Breaking the barrier between our world and yours is too risky, even if it’s just temporary. We cannot guarantee that it won’t weaken the barrier. And we cannot afford to have any weak spot on the barrier. Our world and yours cannot mix. We are two different and separate worlds and it has to stay that way. For our world’s sake and for yours. The only other way that we found is to open a portal that will lead you home”, explains Tsunade.

            “A portal? That’s great! That means I can go home soon.”

            “No. I’m afraid not.”

            “Why not?”

            “Opening a portal is not that simple. It requires great skill and enormous chakra. Also, the jutsu that is required to do it needs to be performed by 5 powerful ninjas.”

            “That shouldn’t be a problem. There are plenty of powerful ninjas in the village. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to find five who’ll be willing and skilled enough to perform the jutsu.”

            “We don’t need just any powerful ninja, Mika.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “At the very least, this jutsu needs a Kage level ninja to be successful.”

            “Kage level?”

            Great. There goes my chance of going home.

            “Yes. That’s why I want you to join Sasuke’s group on this mission. It’s up to you four to convince the other four Kages to help you out.”

            My shoulders slumped. How am I going to convince the four Kages? They don’t even know me. And as far as I know, at least two of them are as stubborn as a weed. Maybe the Kazekage might agree to help since he is a good friend of Naruto. But the rest of them, I don’t know.

            “Wait a minute. We are going to the land of light. They don’t have a Kage. So why does this girl have to go this time?”, Sasuke asked, putting an emphasis on the words ‘this girl’ like he’s disgusted or something.

            “Yes. But this experience would still be a good training for her. Besides, you will pass by the desert land so once you’re done, you can go see the Kazekage on your way back home. I already sent a message to Gaara and he sent me a message back.”

            “And?”

            “He said he’d be expecting you.”

         “Why don’t we just talk to the Kages ourselves? She doesn’t need to come with us.”

            This freakin’ man is annoying me. I have a name, use it!

            Tsunade raised her left brow.

            “The Kages hate you, Sasuke, remember?”

            Sasuke became quiet. I don’t know why but for some reason that seems to have affected him. I mean, I’m sure there are a lot of people who must hate him because of the mere fact that he is an Uchiha. But it never really affected him before. He never seems to care. So why does this affect him? Why is this different?

            I looked at Naruto who’s standing beside him. He looks sad. I know he can symphatize with Sasuke. I know he knows the reason why Sasuke’s being quiet right now.

            “You may go.”

            Everyone started to head towards the door after Tsunade ordered us to. But Naruto stopped and turned to face Tsunade.

            “Granny Tsunade. Please….next time….try not to say words that would hurt my friend”, he said, still sad, then left the room. My eyes followed him. Sasuke’s gone so he didn’t hear what Naruto said.

            Sasuke’s….hurt?   

NEXT TIME: Join Mika as she head to her first mission with a lazy ninja, a hyper and attack-first-before-thinking ninja and an arrogant ninja who hates her guts. Will she survive this mission? Or will the conflict between her and Sasuke cause them to fail?