⇜Chapter 25⇝

NOTE: Check out the picture at the right side. It's the village at the Land of Lights.  

          Sasuke briefly looked at Naruto when the latter purposely slowed down until he and Sasuke are almost side by side. Sasuke didn’t say a word.

            “Hey Sasuke”, Naruto said to get his attention without looking at his friend. It’s obvious that there’s something in his mind. “Don’t you think you overdid it back there?”

            Sasuke looked at him for a second but remained silent.

            “You really hurt her feelings, you know?”

            “Go back to your position, Naruto. I need you up there in front.”

            “But…”

            “I said go back to your position”, Sasuke snaps at him. He then stayed silent as if he immediately regretted raising his voice. But Naruto, who’s also hot-headed, didn’t recognize this and snaps back at Sasuke.

            “I will, I will. You didn’t have to yell at me! Why are you always so mean anyway? Even to a girl! What’d she ever done to you? You….you…idiot!”

            “Shut up, Naruto!”

            “I won’t shut up. Not until you apologize to me and Mika-chan.”

            “Shut up! You’re so loud. You’re practically giving away our position, you idiot.”

            “It’s coz you won’t apologize.”

            “Please…both of you please stop”, begs princess Kanako who have been listening to the argument unwillingly. Sasuke is carrying the princess so she has no choice but to hear the men argue like kids. The mention of possible discovery of their position by enemies is making her anxious. Naruto was going to say something else when he noticed Shikamaru stopped and looked behind them.

            “What is it, Shikamaru-kun?”

            “The girls are not with us”, he answered, not tearing his eyes away from the same direction that he’s looking at. Sasuke didn’t waste time. He immediately started to go back to where they came from. Naruto and Shika followed. About a mile from where they noticed that the girls were missing, they finally saw Ino’s figure standing on a tree up ahead. They hurried to get close to her.

            “Ino”, Shika said to get her attention. He’s now standing beside Ino who seems to be staring at something from afar that isn’t there. “What are you doing here? Where’s Mika?”

            “I…I’m not sure”, she answered without looking at him. She looks worried and a little nervous. Sasuke fired questions at her before anyone else could react.

            “What do you mean you’re not sure? Weren’t you with her? What happened?”

            “I was with her. But…”

            “But what?”

            “She said she needed to be alone for a minute. To--to calm herself down.”

            “You left her?”, Sasuke asked, angry and flabbergasted at Ino’s decision.

            “She promised me she’ll catch up to us.”

            Sasuke opened his mouth to speak but chose to eat his words. He greeted his teeth hard and travelled back, re-tracing their path. He didn’t bother to slow down even when his comrades continuously called his name, asking him to wait. He is moving so fast and he knew that the others will not be able to catch up to him unless he slows down. But he didn’t. He didn’t know why but he has a bad feeling about this. His heart is beating fast. He quickly jumped down to where he and Mika fell earlier and put down Kanako as soon as his feet touched the ground. The princess fell on her behind because of Sasuke’s lack of care but he didn’t notice it. His eyes immediately scanned the surrounding, searching.

            “Mika! Mika!”

            No answer. He yelled louder.

            “Mika!”

            Still nothing. Sasuke tried to concentrate so he could sense my presence, hoping to find me that way. But his heart is beating even faster and stronger that he could hear his heartbeats, which distracts him. And his growing nervousness isn’t helping either.

            Sasuke closed his eyes, hoping that would help.

            “Sasuke!”, calls Naruto who finally arrived with the rest of the group. “Where’s Mika-chan?”

            “Shut up.”

            “Sasuke!”

            “Naruto!”, cuts Shikamaru, stopping the bleached-haired ninja from further irritating Sasuke. Sasuke, on the other hand, gave up on concentrating and started to just search around. Shika and Naruto joined in the search, while Ino stayed close to the princesses. The men looked everywhere, hoping to find a clue.

            “Sasuke!”, yells Shika. “I found something.”

            Everyone scrambled to get to where he is.

            “What is it?”

            Shikamaru didn’t answer. Instead, he gave Sasuke a head protector. Sasuke took it and immediately examined it. It is similar to their own head protector. A simple piece of cloth with a metal plate attached in the middle of it. At the center of the metal plate is a symbol that looks like big waves.   

            “Ninjas from the Land of the Waves”, concludes Naruto.

            “No. They’re ninja’s from the Hidden Mountain Village.”

            Naruto’s forehead wrinkled.

            “Land of the Mountain?”

            “Yes. Look at the waves, Naruto. The arches aren’t connected. Notice the shape of them? The curve of each are more pointed than how a wave symbol would look like. Like a mountain”, explains Shika. Ino joined in the conversation. She’s nervous about this whole situation, too.

            “Do you think some ninjas from the Hidden Mountain abducted Mika?”

            “They have her alright”, says Sasuke in a voice just loud enough for them to hear. His voice clearly depicted anger. His hand holding the head protector closed to form a fist around the piece of metal. He has his hand clenched so tight that the metal bent a little.

            “Sasuke?”

            Sasuke angrily threw the head protector in his hand, which hit the tree in front of them so hard that the force made it bounce back to their direction. Shikamaru caught it. He looked at the metal piece on it for a second then turned it to see the back. At the back of the metal, on the cloth, is written:

            I dare you to get her back from me, Uchiha.

            Shikamaru looked at the angry young Uchiha just in time for him to see the latter punch a tree hard.