⇜Chapter 41⇝

Author's note: Thank you so much Labellavida for editing this chapter. It was greatly appreciated.

                                                                                   -----------------

          “Why are we here?” I inquired at Shikamaru after curiously examining the surroundings. We were standing in the middle of a small clearing, next to a frozen lake. Currently the ground was covered with more than three feet of powdered snow, though I imagined it would be carpeted with green grass in the spring. Tall pine trees towered around us, concealing our location from anyone standing within fifteen feet into the white forest.

            “Ino said she found you alone in the garden,” he started, his eyes obviously studying me for whatever reason. “What happened between you and Sasuke?”

            There was a brief silence as I stared back at Shikamaru. I was surprised by his prying question and was unsure how to answer it. Should have I told him the truth?

            “My, my. I didn’t know Ino reports to you. Is she keeping tabs on me on your behalf? Making sure I don’t do something stupid?” I answered, avoiding his question. My words—although could have came out acidly—sounded like that of a humour as I meant it to sound like one. I even gave a weak laugh to emphasize my intent to lessening the uneasiness I felt inside. But Shikamaru didn’t share my humour. He remained serious and proceeded to retort the conversation back to the original subject.

            “Did he do something to you? Did he try to kill you again?”

            My eyes widened comically. I thought it was a crazy idea although I couldn’t exactly blame him for thinking it. After all, Sasuke had tried to kill me more than once before.

            “Heavens! No! Sasuke would never—“

            Shikamaru raised a brow. I sighed exasperately.

            “I know he had hurt me before…” I said, rolling my eyes.

            “Hurt?”

            “Okay! He had tried to…kill me, before. But honestly, although I’m scared as hell of him…I don’t think he can bring himself to actually kill me. No matter how much he may seem to want to.”

            Shikamaru’s eyes widened in a mixture of exaggeration, humor and surprise. I swear I even saw a hint of realization in them.

            “No way!” he exclaimed in a manner too exaggerated even for someone like Naruto.

            “What?”

            “You’re in love with Sasuke, aren’t you?”

            “What! No! No way,” I denied, astonished. I turned my back to him to hide my blushing face. “I could never fall for someone like him.”

            “A-huh.” I heard him say bluntly.

            “I swear, I’m not…in love with that jerk.”

            “Are you denying it because you really don’t realize it or you just can’t stand being in love with a jerk?” taunted Shika who even put his hand on his hip.

            I gave him an exasperated laugh.

            “Come on, Shikamaru. Do you really think I’d fall for someone who choked me, yells at me regularly, treats me like a nuisance, practically accused me of being a slut, and avoids me like a plague? Not to mention put me under his genjutsu to “teach me my lesson”.”