⇜Chapter 43⇝

The party was in full swing. Outside, you could barely hear the laughing, talking and the loud music. The light coming from inside illuminated through the glass wall and door, but it only provided just enough to reach three feet from the door, leaving the rest of the lonely garden in darkness. But the trees and shrubs that were buried in snow weren’t without a company that night. Behind one of the trees that stood in a corner hid a figure, watching.

            I weaved through the crowd of people mingling and dancing. I purposely didn’t make a straight path through them to make sure that I’d lose Prince Hiro. I saw him walking towards our direction earlier so I immediately went to where a bunch of guests were gathered and started to weave through them. I wasn’t even able to tell Ino that I needed to leave because she was busy flirting with a young noble who was obviously smitten by the blonde beauty.

            I went in zigzag and in circles through most of the guests to make sure that if Prince Hiro was indeed following me, he’d have a hard time catching up. I made my way to the glass door at the side of the banquet hall, looked around to make sure the prince didn’t see me, and discreetly slipped out. I knew it was leading outside as most of the wall where the door was attached to was made of glass as well. I could see the adjacent garden even from inside. It was a lot smaller than the garden  near our quarters but it was of decent size. There were a handful of trees that were without leaves. Only a few lanterns illuminated the place so it was quite dark. It would be hard to navigate through it for sure. The freezing temperature would also add quite a challenge. I didn’t even have anything to protect myself from the cold. I didn’t think I’d need any since I wasn’t planning on leaving the warm rooms of the palace. And my dress was without sleeves!

            Looking at what was in front of me, I begun to harbor second thoughts. It might not be the best place for me to go to escape from the prince. But if I go back inside he might see me. Still unsure, I looked at the people inside to see if Hiro was anywhere near the door. I saw him making his way through a bunch of guests who were trying to get his attention. If he would look my way, he would definitely see me.

            Dammit.

            I moved quickly to get away from the door and made my way through the trees. My feet buried in a foot-deep of snow with every step and it felt like a thousand needles piercing through my legs. It was a torture against my bare skin but I knew I couldn’t go back in using the same door. If the prince would see me he’d definitely do whatever it was that he was planning to do. And Sasuke, for sure, would see us together.      

            God. The things I do for that man’s sake.

            I let out a heavy sigh and continued to make my way through the shrubs and trees.

Meanwhile, the figure continued to watch me. He remained in his spot, hidden by the darkness of the night. He saw me when I left the safety of the palace walls, and walked away from it and stepped into the dark. He had been watching my every move, studying me. Figuring out his move.

        “Ah!” I grimaced when something buried in the snow scraped my leg. I tried my best not to make too much noise even though it would be difficult for anyone inside the palace to hear me from where I was. I figured it was better to be extra cautious to avoid the prince’s attention, than be sorry if he actually finds me.

         With a throbbing foot, I leaned on the nearby tree with my left arm and lifted my injured foot to examine it. It didn’t look bad, it only had scrapes and was barely bleeding. I was sure that the snow would help ease the pain in a minute so I placed my weight on it and stood straight.