⇜Chapter 44⇝

The following day after breakfast, I sneaked out of the palace and traced the path that Shikamaru and I took yesterday when we went to train. The sun was just barely shining when I reached the frozen lake and it was providing me with a nice warm feeling that contrasted the coldness of my surrounding. I looked around once I got there trying to find where Zero might be. Zero showed up behind a pine tree that was almost hidden by thick snow. I couldn’t help but smile as soon as I saw him. After everything that happened yesterday, seeing Zero felt like a good escape from all the craziness. I waited for him to come close to me.

            “Good morning,” he greeted.

            “Good morning.”

            “I see you’re finally smiling.”

            “I give you a smile every time I see you, don’t I?” I answered shyly and consciously tucked my hair behind my ear. I even felt myself blushing and I secretly cursed myself for it.

            Oh great! You’re so embarrassing, Mika.

            “But it’s the first time I see you smile without sadness accompanying it,” I heard him say. His response surprised me and I lowered my gaze. It made me realize how pathetic I have become because of two men who both didn’t care about me. 

            Zero lifted my chin so that I was staring at his hazel eyes.

            “I’ll make you forget about that sadness,” he said and then took my hand. “Come on.”

            With him holding my hand, I followed him towards the forest of pine trees. Behind one of them awaits a black stallion. Zero led me towards the beast who made a sound when it saw its master.

            “Are we going somewhere?”

            Zero nodded and then helped me get up on the horse. After making sure that I was safely on the beast’s back, he pulled himself up and sat behind me.

            “Where are we going?” I asked him curiously.

            “Out of the Snow Kingdom.”

            Hearing that he’s planning to take me outside of the Land of Snow’s territory made me a little nervous. I twisted my body and turned my head to look at him with questioning eyes.

            “I figured you might be feeling bored looking at snow everyday so I’m taking you somewhere better,” he explained while looking in my eyes. I smiled at his response. I must admit that it made me feel special. Content and feeling quite an excitement, I turned to face front. I felt Zero’s left arm made its way around my waist. Although I was surprised, I didn’t protest.

            “Hold on,” I heard him say before he kicked the belly of the beast and it ran through the trees. It didn’t start with a jog and I’ve never ridden a horse before so I felt nervous and a little scared. I instinctively grabbed on to his arm for protection. Zero held me tighter and whispered in my ear.

            “Don’t worry, I got you.”

            A light gasp escaped through my lips but not because of fear. Zero was too close to me. Too close that my back was already resting against his body. Heartbeats drummed inside my chest in a hurrying speed. Nonetheless, his arm made me feel safe. Protected. I found myself beginning to relax a moment later.

            “Where’s Mika?” Sasuke inquired at Shikamaru. He’s apparently been looking for me and found Shikamaru coming in from the garden. Sasuke was about to go out to look for me outside.

            “I don’t know. I was hoping you would know. I was looking for her, too. I figured I’ll take her for another training since our stay here got extended.”

            “Have you asked the others?”

            Shikamaru nodded.

            “They haven’t seen her after breakfast.”

            Sasuke didn’t respond. But he’s clearly thinking.

            “Did you find her, Shikamaru?”

            Shika and Sasuke both turned to see the one who spoke. Yamanaka Ino. The blonde girl was walking towards them.

            “No. Sasuke hasn’t seen her either.”

            “Hmm. Maybe she just wanted to be alone.”

            “Why?” asked Sasuke.

            “Well, she seemed to be dealing with something. I lost her at the party last night and when I came back to our room, she was already asleep. This morning she was being so quiet. She didn’t even respond when I greeted her.”

            “She was awfully quiet during breakfast as well,” Shika added.

            “Maybe something happened last night,” Ino said while looking at Sasuke, who avoided her stare feeling kind of guilty.

            “I’ll—I’ll go send out a message to Konoha. They need to know about our delay,” he said then left Shika and Ino looking at him suspiciously.

            “Something happened between them last night,” Shika declared which Ino seconded.

            “Yup.”  

         Meanwhile, Sasuke went out and walked pass the pergola. He summoned a hawk and ordered it to deliver a message to the Hokage. When his hawk flew, Sasuke let out a heavy sigh.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Check out zero's picture at the media section.