Life Without Her

Letting go...

I watched her disappear slowly out the door, the steel chain pulling me towards her.

The chain was my life. The red string was my world.

And I clung onto it, afraid of the abyss below. The jagged rocks, the turbulent waters, awaited me. Calling out to me to fall, to give up, to let her go.

Let her go.

It was perfect just a day ago. My feet was still on the sturdy wooden planks, my happiness. The bridge was our love. The chain our forever.

Everything was just as it was a day ago. Everything. She was happy. Greatly willing to spend her forever with me.

But now, why isn't it the same?

I lost my balance, looping a hand around her slim, slender waist.

But why is it cold?

The familiar warmth didn't ignite the way it always did. I looked at her back, still turned towards me.

I pushed the thought at the back of my head and decided to tread on forward.

I hungrily devoured the scent of her. The fragrant rose and vanilla that I loved everyday, every hour, every minute, every second. I swallowed them whole.

She was like ice cream.

She shook her head, the vibration of the muscles moving echoed to me, like waves. I still pulled myself, strongly onto shore, not bothering how her beautiful waves pushed me back to the murky depths of a life without her.

Without her...

"Let me go, Chrome. Let me go," She pleaded, the smooth melodic voice was harmony to my ears. I wanted more. I needed more. I desperately demanded more.

I gripped tightly onto her dress, my fingers pressed tightly onto her skin, her bones. I can't release her. I can't let her go. I can't let her leave.

The words she spat to me were daggers to the heart.

"I don't love you. I never had, never will," she said.

But in me, she screamed.

I know she loves me.

I know so well she does.

I clung tighter. She let's go instead.

The chain cut off. Her part broke to pieces, the metal shattering. My eyes widened as I watched the silver band on her ring finger fall first, glinting it's last light, into the darkness that had risen up to my waist.

I watched her go.

I watched her gather her torn clothes, wrinkled and destroyed by my own hands.

I didn't feel like living.

I didn't feel like breathing.

I wasn't whole anymore.

I wasn't complete.

Just like a pair of shoes. If one is gone, the other can't be of use.

Everything exists in twos.

Perfect puzzle pieces, a nail and a hammer, pair of socks, scissors, couple t-shirts, bicycle wheels.

Daphne and Chrome.

Perfect beings in an imperfect world.

And I hated how it would be.

I didn't care how it will be.

Everything is meaningless...

When it's a life without her.