The Nate Date

"Good morning, beautiful."

"Hey, drop that, it sounds weird, Nathan," I commented, putting in his order. I still hadn't thanked him enough. I cleared my throat, waiting for the coffee to be finished.

"Uh, thanks for saving me, Nate."

He smiles, "Well, what's this meteorite? Nate?" He smiled wider, I shrugged at him, he continues, "I like it. Nate. Anyway," he continues, "You owe me a date."

"Another one?" I raised a brow at him. This guy and his games.

"Yeah, this time. Its real."

What?! My chest was going to pop open at his words. He wants seconds. I shuddered.

But I drew lines, didn't I?

I have rights to do what I want.

Do I want this date or not?

It's hard to turn him down. I owe him so much.

"You know, that kiss you gave me last night, I miss it."

-////-

I edge away from the cashier, turning away from him. He should never see my face like this.

"Uh, chocolate or caramel?"

"I'd like Kaye please," he smugly says. Even with my back turned, I could see the laughter on my face.

"Stop teasing me," I said, toughing myself up, "I don't like it."

He laughs. I gave his cup, reaching to him with my back turned.

"Hey, face me,"he says, taking cup. Taking my hand.

He pulls me to him. I bent over the counter, my face in a side angle. I don't want to fully face him. Not now when I'm not feeling like it.

I took my hand away. His phone rings. I took that as spare time to go at the back. There, I cooled myself down, the lump on my throat swallowed down.

I could here the bell of the cafe door signaling someone either went or came. I emerged again to find him leave.

*****

Do my part of the bargain.

Yeah, sure. I'll do it field of ash!

I didn't know why I was angry. I'm still gripping my phone in hand. I even debated to delete his number or not. But then again, we had a deal.

It's sunset here in the part as I paced back and forth on the cobbled road. It was getting tiring. Finding a girl in this sea of people in America! It'll be like a needle in a haystack! I sighed, stomping my foot on the loose stone by the bench.

I still had some papers left in my hand. I looked at it again in boredom. The wind was dead, the sky was getting dim and I was getting tired.

How lucky is she to be someone so beautiful? I bet she's from a rich family. She so lucky to have Chrome fall for her so hard. So lucky that he'd waste a lifetime to search for her.

My phone rings and I jump. Excitedly, without any special reason, I hurriedly opened it. My brother.

False alarm.

I sigh, answering it. "Heya sis!"

"What?" I asked, "Do you want something to eat after I'm done here?"

"Nope. But I know you do want something."

"Yeah, I'd surely like a big box of pizza. I'm starving."

"No," he denied, "Not food you pig. Chrome has come by my room and he's looking for you."

"What?" I asked, unable to hear his voice through the phone. A lawnmower was running on the field of grass behind me, silencing the sound.

"I said, Chrome asked how you were doing."

"What? I can't hear you!"

"Chrome asked if you were doing fine!!" He screamed but it was no use.

I decided to hold the call and walk towards the cakeshop at one corner of the park. Here, it was easy to converse. I took one seat by the windows, my eyes scanning the area. There was a couple on one table and a girl with a hoodie on another. I put my phone in my ear, continuing, "What was it again?"

"Chrome came by and asked if you were doing okay."

"Woah," I stopped for a moment. "Really? What did you say?"

"I said you're still the boring person you are. Still uptight and very strict."

"Then?" My attention was drawn away from the conversation to the girl with the hoodie on. She looked familiar on the side like I've seen her from somewhere.

"Chrome actually....." His voice trailed on and on. I didn't listen to any of it. I was drown in deafening silence as she turned fully. She was standing up now and gathering her bags. That face.

You can guess who it is.

Well, it's none other than Daphne Summers.

I watched her leave the cafe before I sprang to action.

Daphne Summers?

Oh my God. I slipped my phone inside my pocket not caring if the line was still going on. I went out the shop and took the chase.

She was running and I was running too.

There was a car speeding and I was speeding too.

She slipped into the car's front seat and I slipped on the cobbled street.

The driver steps on the pedal and I step on animal dung.

They're going to get away and I'm going to stink.

I've seen Daphne. And somehow, amidst my tired limbs and stinky shoes, I wished I hadn't.