Tell Him

I looked at Joane who stared back at me with the same question.

Should I tell Ashfield about this?

We sat on the hospital waiting chairs for half an hour already. It was torturing me.

I closed my eyes and looked away.

"You should really get home first," she says to me, helping me up. I opened my eyes, my tears were on the brink to fall. "Jo, should I?"

"I don't know, Kaye."

"God..." I muttered, clutching my hand in a fist.

We both hailed a cab and went home.

I lay at home awake, staring at the ceiling. I tossed and turned in my bed. I put my hand on my belly.

My baby. Chrome's baby.

I balled my fist above it, feeling the beat of another life inside me.

It was scaring me to death. I can't have this burden. Not when I'm short with money and I'm having difficulty in coping in terms of finances.

Should I have this in first place?

I stood up from the bed, checking my watch. 4:37 in the afternoon. Chrome should still be at the company.

I sighed, gathering all the courage I can manage. I walked out the door.

Joane was waiting for me in the kitchen.

"Can you come with me?"

She smiled, "Of course. I'll be there for you."

I nodded, embracing her.

*****

And here I am outside of his office. My own confidence in a mess. I'm afraid that the very first words I might say to him would be messed up, like Yoda talk.

I sighed.

Then, I entered his office, putting the pair of glasses on.

I don't want people to recognize me.

I was afraid that they would ask me about our broken marriage.

Do they even know?

I pushed the elevator buttons, Joane squeezing my hand. We both stepped into the elevator doors. I pushed the button of his floor, glad that Jo and I were alone inside the elevator.

She goes about fixing me, though I know I wasn't still as attractive as Daphne. I'm plain. And it hurts me. Why do people always appreciate the beautiful ones?

The elevator doors open. And Loraine from the reception desk looks up. She smiled.

"How are you, Mrs. Ash--I'm sorry--Ms. Green?"

"Hi, Loraine, you recognize me?"

"Yes, of course, I do. No one forgets someone beautiful like you."

I shooked my head. She smiled wider.

"If you're looking for Mr. Ashfield, he's in a meeting. You could wait inside."

I nodded, Joane releases my hand and she gave me a hug. I somehow got the courage to tell him. I clamped my lips together.

Here goes nothing.

I sat on the usual gray couches of his office, waiting. Joane waited for me outside, taking time in talking to Loraine. Then, the doors opened.

"Chro--?"