I Have to Keep Him Safe

I couldn't get him out of my head after hours and hours of serving tables. The man was familiar, like I've seen him somewhere. It was getting late, but I didn't care. It was past my work time, but I didn't care.

Suppose, I'm back to the "first chapter me". Me.

The girl who's broken, who doesn't give a damn, who doesn't see love other than work, the girl who gave her all until she became hollow, empty, and rotten inside.

She was just a shell now. A person without a soul.

I know and I'm sorry you all read my depressing story. You had to, I'm sorry.

Suppose this is everything. It was all just washable paint, after the blessing of the rain, it disappears.

I cried again, but I'm not thinking of the guy who I just bumped on the street, but of Chrome.

Chrome freaking Ashfield.

He was my eveything. My happiness, my home, my hope, my pain, my life.

I'd better be dead right now. But suicidal isn't a choice. It never was.

I closed up the shop, going home at 10:47pm. I walked in the night, feeling the blow of the night breeze and the quiet of the street. It had been so long since I last did this. Watching the night sky, night walks, humming to myself. I missed this.

So I pulled out my phone and headphones inside my bag, unused in days. I played the music I loved, putting the headphones on, silencing everything and shutting the noise of the world out.

****

My brother rummages through the kitchen. I silently watched him in the dark. He suddenly jumps when he notices a shape sitting on the table.

"Woah, who are you?" He asked, finding for the switch.

I laughed dryly, "Just me bro. Don't turn the lights on, the electricity bill is getting heavy."

"Oh, okay. But why get worried? You're married to the richest guy in the world!"

"Yeah, was." I nod, biting my lip. It was good Keith couldn't see me crying in the dark. I shouldn't let him see the pain. "Was? What? You broke it with him?" I laughed at my brother's question. He took that as an answer,no. Yet.

There was silence between us as he munched his sandwich in the dark.

"Keith, how would you like to go to school abroad?"

"What? Abroad? That would be great!"

"Yeah, it could train you better as an engineer. I was thinking of Japan, perhaps? Or London?"

"But aren't you worried about me, sis?"

"What a question! Of course I'm worried. I'm sending my only family away. But," I stopped, going over to where my brother is, patting his head, "I trust you can take care of yourself perfectly."

"I can, but you? I can avoid those criminality waiting for me out there, but you sis, will you be safe?"

I can't bring myself to tell him. My only brother, my family, my ally that is ignorant of my state. "I will. Chrome's there, isn't he?"

I smiled in the dark. It was a freaking lie. A big one. But I'm saving him from all of this.

He was the reason why I entered this agreement in the first place.

And it was worth it. Family is absolute.

I hugged my brother, squeezing him. He hugs me back, "I'll say, I'll go to London. It's hard to learn Japanese and all that."

"You never wanted to learn languages ever since," I released him, heading off to my room.

I'm saving my brother from this all. No matter how hard, I'll never lose anyone from my family ever again. I promised my mother and I will never break it.

****

I gave him his tickets as he nervously tapped his foot on the airport tiles. "Calm down, it's just London." I say, shaking him up a bit, "Your flight's in an hour."

"I don't want to leave you sis."

"Aww, bro," I say, smiling. But back to sister-mother mode, "That's ridiculous." I strictly said, pushing him into the boarding part of the airport. I waved at him. He waves back, tears falling.

What a crybaby. His nose was dripping and I hand him a tissue roll.

"Be a man, bro. I love you. Take care." I say, I'm not turning away.

"Love you too, sis." He says. I watched him walk off towards the seats, looking for an empty one. As soon as I saw him sit, I texted him.

Me: Remember that always. Open your Skype later when you arrive. Don't get into trouble. I'll kill you.

My phone dings as soon as he replied.

Keith: Of course sis, I'm an angel, aren't I?

Me: Hahaha, an angel who makes me work everyday.

Keith: You love me, that's why. Tell me if ever a problem comes up. I'll come flying back.

Me: On an airplane.

We went on and on with our sibling bickers until the dreaded hour came. I was still by the glass doors when he stood from his seat.

He waves at me, smiling. I waved back, holding what I need to hold.

He disappears into his designated door towards the plane.

I turned around and let them go.

My tears, everything.

I have to keep him safe.

And I did.

Now, I'm all alone.

Hey there! Hi! Just wanted to say that. ^^.

-D.S.