Another Agreement

Bip. Bip. Bip.

"What?" I asked, my head still up on the clouds. It was so early and I nearly stumbled over my blanket that fell halfway on the floor. The vision in front of me was blurry as I rubbed the sleep away. I squinted my eyes at the clock.

Freaking 4:00 in the a.m.

Chrome laughs at the other end as I grunted. "Hey, are you playing with me? Is four o'clock your favorite time of the day? Goodbye."

"Wait!" He screams and I edge phone away from my ear. It was annoying me as I tackled the yawns that rose every second.

"Whaaaat?" I yawned, wiping my tears, "Come on. I want to go back to sleep."

He snorts a little, saying, "Come at the office tomorrow at seven."

"What? What for?"

He sighs, "Tomorrow's our sched, love."

Sheesh, that sent chills down and up my spine.

Love? My stomach.

"Whatever, Ash. Signing off."

*****

Woah....

I stared at the building in front of me that loomed. I gasped. Its the first I've seen this place. Is this really Ashfield's? Ashfield?

Woah...I can't believe it.

Jake was making his way to me, waving at every employee that walked in the lobby.

Popular dog.

Behind his shades, I could see the beam of his eyes, like Cyclops'.

"Miss Kaye! Good morning!"

-_-

"Hello, Jake." I replied, putting my hands at my back. He just smiled and gestured me to walk before him. I did as he directed, walking past glass doors, past the amazingly architectured lobby towards four elevators that were going up to different floors. He presses on one button. A couple of minutes, the ding! sound of the elevator arrived.

He gesture to me again. This was awkward. I'm not really used to these kinds of manners. As we both settled inside, I nudged him at the stomach.

"Hey," I say as he turns to look at me, "Why are you so formal for?"

He answered, "Mr. Ashfield's orders were to treat you formally."

"Has he gotten into an accident?"

"Nope. Why do you ask?"

"His head has been altered by something. It's not like Chrome to tell everyone to treat me this way." I wondered, staring up at the elevator ceiling.

He replied, "Uh, Miss Kaye? It was actually the elderly Ashfield who told me that."

Oh.

"Right," I cleared my throat, "I meant to say Louis."

Damn that Chrome and this little crush thing of mine! Hopelessly hoping for what? I'm so foolish! So foolish.

Beside me Jake sniffs, stiffling a laugh I think. I covered my face for a moment, screaming Chrome's name in my head.

The elevator dings! again as the doors opened. I stepped into a massive office with beautiful painted pictures on the walls and freshly watered plants that were arranged in the room.

Unlike his apartment, this place seemed welcome-y.

Just like how Nathan's house was.

Nathan...I hope he's okay.

Chrome was standing with his back to us by the glass windows, looking down at the city. Jake proceeds towards him tapping him lightly on the shoulder. Chrome turns to me, a bored look on his face. Jake leaves us, riding inside the elevator to the floor he picked.

We were alone.

Suddenly, my heart speeds up it's pump. And that's all I could hear, the thundering best of my heart who's frantically driving me insane.

Chrome in his business look. Hair slicked back, blue green eyes staring at me with cleverness in them and his smart look with a model body form was hypnotising me. I could stand here all day and stare.

"Kaye, hey," He greets, sitting on the revolving chair of his desk. I was still standing, unwavering, still staring at him.

He smiles, "I am getting the hint that you like me."

That shook me with a start. "How cocky can you get?" I shot back defending myself. He can't read me. Never.

He was still smiling as I seated myself on one of the chairs across him, the pile of papers on his desked were all signed and stamped, cleanly arranged and neatly piled. My eyes wander on them, desperately seeking distractions.

He starts, "I've called you in because I need help."

"What help? In signing?"

"No. I need you to help me move on from Daphne."

"Move ON?" I emphasize the "on" part, my eyes widening. I never thought I'd see the day when he'll say that. "Why Ash?"

"I can't tell you. Just help me."

"Do I still need to continue investigating?"

"Yup, but that's only to find her, ask if she's okay or if she's doing well."

"I don't know Ashfield. I'm not good with this stuff."

"I'll put in another thousand dollars to our agreement."

"It's just like the dramas where the guys hire girls to be their rebound thing. And I'm in one of them. I just...don't know Ash."

"Why? Because you like someone?"

"Uh--"

"You like Nathan?" He looked at me with grave eyes, like he couldn't accept the fact I like his enemy.

I shook my head, "Hey, chill dude. I just don't want this."

"Louis told me you're drawing lines. What are they for?"

"You'll only ask for me when you need me."

"Well, Kaye I need you now. More than ever."

"Uh------- No?"

"Whatever, whether you say yes or no, if it's not a valuable reason, you're helping me."

"But!"

"Uh-uh-uh-sheesh! Whatever you say, Green."

There's no losing to this guy. I sighed, resting my head at the head rest of the seat.

"Fine Ashfield. But only three months. That's it. By the end of the third month if you still love her, this game is over."

"I will forget her. I really will."

"Whatever you say, big guy."

*****

May 7th to August 7th. That was our contract. Anytime of the day.

I sighed as I tossed the paper on my desk at home. I didn't want to look at it ever again.

But...

I grabbed it, flipping it over to see his signature.

Such wonderful strokes. Delicately trailed on the blue paper. I followed the curves carefully, my stomach giggling like it was going to spout bubbles out of my mouth.

I grunted realizing how idiotic I was. I threw the paper back at my desk, flopping on my bed.

This is going to be a terrible ride.