His Story

I looked at the person who's in front of me, doubting if he really knew me just now.

Oh,of course he knows you Kaye! He reads the news!

But there was something far deeper than what he makes me see. Something like being involved with my situation. Could he have done it? The video editing, I mean.

Is he the wrong guy to ask? Was he just making me turn in the palm of his hand?

He somehow senses my discomfort. With a slight chuckle, lighting the fire in his mischievous eyes that I can't for some reason stop looking at. He looked enchanting, handsome. But there was something warning me from him.

"You are doubting me," he says, "As I predicted."

"Are you some mind reader? Cause you're creeping me out."

"I've studied the basics of behavioral science. And from the movement of your hands, I can see that you're doubting me, Miss Green."

I was a bit speechless but his smart look and the way he talked didn't hold me back from asking further.

"You do know my financial status, Mr. George, so what's in it for you?"

"That's a good question Miss Green, I'm glad you noticed!" He smiled, clapping his hands together, "You see, I had a brother who's death was so similar to the one that recently happened to poor Mr. Louis Ashfield. And I thought, perhaps, perhaps I can help others, like you, and save you from the dilemma of rotting in prison for a crime you didn't commit, just like a friend of mine."

"A brother? Did he die in a car accident?"

"Yes and the culprit was my friend, Alayne, his colleague."

"But did Alayne do it? You mention someone about rotting in prison."

"That's what they believe. But I didn't. It was too easy to find the culprit, let alone catch her. There was something or someone behind that case. I tried to investigate but was a little late because Alayne had a mental disorder and due to the pressure, she admitted she did it to end it all."

"Then, did you believe her?"

"No, I knew that Justin and Alayne were best friends. I didn't believe that she did it, knowing her mental state. After her verdict, I just found something. Stumbled to say honestly. I found the real culprit but she disappeared. I didn't find her since then."

"So, Alayne and I...we're similar. And you theorized that this was happening all over again."

"Yes, I don't plan on just merely,amaturely investigate. I'm going to help you and I'm not letting her get her way."

"Her?"

"Yes, my sister-in-law to be exact."

"Who?"

"I can't tell you yet, but time will come. If she really was behind all this again..." he trailed off. Anger was clearly in his eyes, ranging. But he kept calm, too cool to be hating someone very much. "Well, let's see what the evidence against you says." He said, pulling out a tape from his drawer and played it on a small portable television set with a CD player.

Again, I watched the lie that changed everything.

****

"There are only two things I can suggest after watching it," he comments, playing it again, "It's either edited or true."

"It's edited." I say, still pushing on the fact I didn't do it. I helped them.

"Yes, but we have to find something, a slight error in the video. Something that proves different from the actual sight."

"Nothing seems to be out of place, the hotel was there, the pedestrian lane, two oak trees,three bushes, the cement wall they crash into..." I paused, noticing for a moment. Then, something was not right.

"Three bushes?" I mutter. But I clearly remembered the pattern of one bush in between the oak trees!

"Yes, is it something significant?"

"Can we go back to where it all happened?"

"Why?" He asked, standing up from his desk. Still pondering over why I suggested it. However he still gets his coat off the rack.

"Because there was only one bush between two oak trees. The pattern...it's not right."