Another Rebound Thing

Nathan smiled at me from across the table, beside him was Joanna, nodding her head.

I frowned. "Why are you here?"

"You don't want me here, love?"

"No, it's just that, Chrome's going to punch you again or maybe hurt you."

"I doubt he's going to do that Kaye," Joanna sighs, looking at Nathan.

I doubt it too. I smiled, sadly stabbing my heart with my point finger. It kind of hurts, the chest pain. Damn that guy.

"So..." I prolonged because this was getting awkward. "What are we talking about?"

"Oh, easy," Joanna smiled, "He's here to--" Nathan cuts her off, patting her on her back. "It's okay, I'll say it." He said, giving her a slight glare.

"I like you, Kaye." He syllabicated and my heart stops for a moment. But instead of Nathan's voice, it's Chrome who's saying it to me. It felt so different. The pounding of my heart was incomparable to Chrome's impact on me. Nathan was just...a shock. A slight jump. Not so much like how Chrome got my heart running in a marathon.

I blankly looked into his eyes. He breathes air, smugly smiling. "And I'm willing to be your rebound guy."

I stay silent for a while. "What?" I asked. Joanne was whistling, sipping her coffee again.

"I said," Nathan clears his throat. "Since I heard the complete story from Joanna--"

"How could that be? You were outside."

"I put him on the phone."

"You what?" I mid-screamed rising from the table. My best friend...betraying me? This was a secret I told her.

"You spilled me out? How could you?"

"Well, I am your best friend." She explained, "I want what's best for you."

"How did you even know I was going to tell you about this?"

"I knew there was something off with you marrying so suddenly, especially to a stranger. And besides, he's going to help you move on."

"How are you even related?"

"He's my friend's friend."

"He's not supposed to know that Chrome and I are fake!"

Chrome butted it, "I'm going to know later anyway, especially when Daphne has come back."

"Are you really trying to hit me, huh, Nathan?"

"No, I didn't mean to hurt you because of the fact that Chrome's still into her. I just wanted you to see the tru--"

"The truth? Well, guys, the truth is I'm never going to fool myself or anybody with this rebound thing again."

"And you'll standby and watch them have their own way?" Joanne rolled her eyes at me.

"Joanne, please, privacy. Nathan and I are going to talk things about us since we're at stake here."

She seemed hurt that I left her out but I have to. Nathan is in this thing. His feelings are invested in a gamble he doesn't even know what the outcome would be.

She leaves us both alone, standing outside the cafe. She was leaning on the glass door, her back to us.

Nathan looked at me from across the table, sighing. "You're too careful, Kaye."

"But if I'm not, I may hurt you."

"I volunteered for a reason. If I hurt myself, it's my fault. Don't be too conscious of who's going to be the victim and the culprit."

"But, I don't want you hurt because of me. I don't want to involve someone else and make them experience the pain I feel."

"I offered my heart for a reason, again. I want a chance. Maybe I'd be a better guy than Chrome."

"Trust me, you are."

"Why don't you give me a chance then?"

"I---"

"Whether you say yes or no, I'm taking you up on a date tomorrow."

"What? I haven't agreed yet!"

"Yet. You'll agree by then."

"No, wait," I stuttered, "Are you sure about this?"

"Of course," he laughs, "Who would deny a shot for you?"

"You flatter me too much," I commented because honestly, I could take his adjectives anymore.

He smiles at me from across the table, grasping my hand that hand its hold on the tissue, "It's another rebound thing, princess."