One Week After

I don't feel like living today.

I'm so guilty and its eating me up inside. Louis called several times but I had no stomach to answer. I shut my phone off, tossing it in the very bottom of my bag. It has been a week since that messy day. And it's been a week of torture.

My conscience is weighing me down.

I grabbed the orders, heading off to the table where a couple sat. I gave them their cups of coffee. They thanked me for it but I didn't reply.

I just don't feel like living today.

Nathan had called too, but I only picked up once making it clear to him.

"Kaye, are you alright?"

"Yes, I am. You were hit hard, are you bruised?"

"Yep, a little. How are you and Chrome?"

"We had a little fight."

"I'm really sorry, Kaye."

"Uh, Nate?"

"Yeah?"

"Is it possible to stop speaking and meeting with each other for a while? The situation is already terrible. I don't want to involve you with this."

"But will you be okay?"

"Yep," I say, "I will."

"Take care, love."

I punched the numbers on the pad, calculating the price of the orders. It was a tiring day but work's my best friend. It was helping me soothe the pain out.

I love work and work loves me.

I arrived home, not surprised to see my bags on one of the worn couches in the living room. My brother was still up, watching late night television.

It was already 11:54 in the night and I jist got home from my searching job.

Well if you're wondering, I juggle at least two jobs a day. But now, since I need more distraction to busy myself with, I work three.

Aside from babysitting in the morning and the cafe job, I added working the dawn shift at a twenty four hour fast food chain on my list.

I need it. Though the money was there, but I feel guilty paying my brother's tuition with Ashfield's money. I still hadn't finished my bargain.

By the way, back to my searching job, still no updates.

I sigh, pushing my brother over. He turns the tv off and scratches my head.

"You're home really late."

I yawned, kicking my shoes off. I only have three hours to sleep and my dawn shift starts at three in the a.m.

"You're always working! Let me take one job too!"

"We're down talking about that, bro. Let me sleep."

"Uh, whatever," he says, "I can't talk you out of it!"

"That's why I love you. I hold power above you my little brother." I say, closing my eyes as sleep takes over.

I hear my brother's door close. Then, the lights were off.

I woke up with sore bones as I mixed myself a cup of coffee, just thirty minutes and my shift will start. I down the delicious mocha taste down, brushing my hair into a tight bun.

I checked on my brother, still sprawled on his bed. I made sure that the locks were locked and went out the gate. My friend, Theo, was already waiting for me. He's a taxi driver I made a week ago too. He's my current driver every morning. I greeted him.

"It's so early and you're already frowning. Smile a little."

"There are so many problems to solve. Don't force me to smile, Theo, my head's aching for my bed."

He chuckles, heading to his seat. He starts the engine and we set off.

I was frying pancakes and the diner already had ten customers waiting for their orders. I dried one on the strainer, giving it to Fiona who was waiting by the door.

She sighs, touchinh her temples for a momet before taking them from me.

I love work and work loves me.

And it has been one week since we had contact. The time was speeding fast and there was nothing to mark today. I proceeded to my next task. Find Daphne and keep my bargain.

I blew the cold air, my breath freezing. I am deeply sorry, folks, but I now my day's been running past. I think it's just another empty day.

I glanced about the park, walking towards the shop. I hope she's there.

But she isn't. This is going to be a long hard search.

I looked around for a while. Would it be wrong to ask people? It isn't right?

The flyers weren't really working.

I poked one guy who was standing at the front of the shop.

"Uh, good evening," I greet. He eyes me head to toe, "Do you know anyone named Daphne?"

"Last name?" He asks.

"Summers."

He shook his head, popping out his phone. I moved on to the next. This time it was a teenage girl who was taller than me. I looked up at her and she backs away in shock. I hid my laughter.

"Hi," I start, "I'm looking for a Daphne. Do you know anyone by that name?"

"Nope, ma'am."

"Thanks anyway." I say and she nods.

This could take all night.

I asked several people. Some knew a Daphne but not a Summers. I slumped on the same park bench, exhausted. It was eight in the evening but I decided to extend a little bit.

I'm sure Chrome would want to see her immediately.

The sound of leaves startle me. I turn to my side finding an elderly man raking dead leaves.

He could be someone who knows.But again, maybe not. Maybe I'll try.

I spoke up, "Uh, Mister, can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah," he replies, "What is it?"

"Do you know a Summers? Or a Daphne?"

"A Daphne? No. Summers, yes."

Oh my God.

"They live just two kilometers from here, to the right of that cake shop then straight. Stop by the first clothes shop you'll see. She lives on the upper floor of that building." He says, raking more leaves. "Wait, you're that girl who frequents here at the park. You related to her?"

"Yeah, somewhat. She's my boss's friend."

Boss...well, whatever.

"Is that so? I'm Jones, her friend. What's your name?"

"I'm Kaye."

"Nice to meet you." He took his hand out, I shook it. A woman who was stocky emerged from behind a shop was waving to him, he nods at me, coming over to her.

There, Ashfield. Now you can go see her, you pitiful loner.

My heart aches a bit. But I don't care. It's not like I feel anything for him.

I took my phone out, messaging him.

I've kept my bargain. Give me the money tomorrow.

Gold digger or not, I don't care what he thinks of me. We just have to keep our bargains, that's it.