Love Quarrels

I picked on my meal this morning, the soup getting colder by the minute. Keith had gone off to school and today was my day off. I felt sleeping the whole day because last night, I didn't even get a wink. Why is it whenever I'm with Ashfield, every conversation has a fight waiting at the corner?

I even hate fighting with him.

But I have to make him call me first. It wasn't my fault that he said Nathan's name last night. Though I'm sure I think I am.

I put my breakfast aside, standing up. I turned the morning television on, the newscaster was my old friend, Hedley and I felt jealous at how much she had changed.

I changed, sure, in my little way. But by the days, I seem to get uglier and older. My stomach twists at how beautiful she looked. Hedley tunes us in with a Showbiz report, showing Ashfield and his pictures shot with him signing contracts and a video of him shaking hands with successful company owners.

He could've looked better with a much more beautiful woman.

Then, my phone rings and I turn the tv off. Louis was calling and I answered it.

"Good morning, Louis." I greet, flopping down on the worn out couch. Today is the new semester of Keith's course and because of Louis, he was able to take on the full term.

"Thanks for the tuition," I added. He chuckles at the other end.

"Come out dear, Jake's waiting outside for you." I slid off the couch, my feet stuffed themselves into slippers as I rushed out the door.

Jake smiles, taking his shades off. He doesn't look bad. But I do. I frantically combed my hair with my fingers. Why do I appear so haggard in the morning?

"Good morning, Kaye," He greets, taking out a tape from his suit pocket. I take it from him and Louis starts speaking. "That tape's my gift to you, dear." He says before hanging up. I flipped my phone closed, turning the square case in my hand. I looked up at Jake, "What's this?"

"The tape at the party. Keith had requested to record that. He says you like to keep something for keeps."

"Oh," I say, "You didn't have to."

Jake smiles, waving at me as he crosses the road. "Mr. Chrome's asking for you at the office at nine. He says he's taking you somewhere."

What? All of a sudden? I hadn't even moved on from last night's fight. He's really quick to recover.

Yeah, but he's vulnerable when it comes to her of course.

I sigh, closinh the gate behind me. I entered my home, tucking the cd away somewhere as I rushed into the bathroom. It was quarter to nine and I know Chrome never wants me late.

*****

My hair was still wet as I got off the taxi. I entered his company, pressing his office floor. His secretary smiled at me as I step out of the elevator doors. I gripped my sling bag close to my chest. He turns to me from the window, his eyes wide.

"Before everything else, what are you wearing?"

"Uh, clothes? Shirt, jeans, sneakers, socks--"

"I know that, but we're going somewhere that requires you to dress a bit more fine," He comments, walking over to me, "I hate to say this but you have a shabby taste in dressing up."

Ouch, that hurts. It just so happens I'm bad at clothing myself and he's just better than ne.

I rolled my eyes, walking back to the elevator doors. "Where are you going?" He asks.