The Day

Since it's Christmas.........

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL MY LOVELY READERS! THIS IS MY GIFT TO YOU, AND I HOPE YOU ALL LIKE IT!

*****

Kaye's POV

I closed my baby book, looking at the pile that has stacked on the corner of my room. Joane was busy. Busy preparing for the baby.

I sighed, moms...even if she is my bestfriend, she kind of acts like a mom. That made me tear up and made me go over my bed table drawer. I found my mother's picture in there and I caress her face, missing her so much.

"Mom, I guess we're both bad at love. We're both single moms, mom. Mom...I miss you, so much."

"Should I dial Keith and let him know about this?"

"You looking for a death wish?" I asked Joane back who smiles.

"Yeah, yeah...bossy sis attitude."

"Bossy? Who? Me?" I asked her, putting the picture of my mom back inside the drawer, "You're the bossy one."

"I'm just helping you with things! The baby is delicate. You are delicate. You should probably take a leave from your job."

"No. Nathan would know."

Then I hear footsteps from somewhere in the house, like black shoes clicking on the wooden floor.

"What would I know?"

My eyes widen at Nathan who appears from the hall. On his hand were fresh picked flowers from his shop.

His eyes widens too, but not at me.

It widens on the books I have stacked on the corner.

His mouth opens a bit, he was surprised, no doubt.

I hurriedly hid the book I was holding behind me, smiling at him like nothing was wrong.

"Nathan! Good to see you!" I waved at him and he frowns at me.

"How rare to hear that phrase. Usually I do the greetings first," he says, his eyes narrowing at me, "Tell me the truth, Kaye, something's wrong."

Joane throws me a pitiful look and I sighed, looking away from Nathan. I could feel the red heat on my cheeks. I was embarrassed and I didn't know what to say.

"You're pregnant, aren't you?"

Joane goes over to my side and puts a hand on my shoulder, "Kaye..." she whispers, I nod.

"Y-yes I-I am," I admitted, turning to look at him.

On his face was the look of betrayal, like there was so much anger bursting out of him and without any other word, he leaves the room.

And I clearly know where he's going.

I ran after him, clutching my belly as if the baby was so precious to me that I'm scared that it would fall.

"Nathan! Nathan! Nathan! Nate!" I called after him. He shuts the door of his car and revs the engine.

I bit my lip and opened the door to the passenger side.

"Nathan, listen to me!" I say, panting. He looks up at me and his eyes...His eyes were a stormy black now, looking at me with so much intensity that I almost wanted to get off.

Joane was running after me and slapping the car windows. She wants to get in but Nathan had us both locked.

"You--"he cuts off, swiftly swerving out of the front yard of my house. I could see Joane from the rear view mirror, stomping her leg and a worried look on her face.