The Proposal

Oh no...oh my God...

Chrome freaking saw us...

He saw Nathan and I.

I was munching on my nails, striding about my room. Fearing nervously.

It wasn't his reaction that made me scared. It was the fact of losing the money for my brother.

I don't mean to sound like a gold-digger but I can't help it if my brother's life is on the line. And just three more days away. The money is just so close.

How foolish can I be?

My phone suddenly rings. I turned it on to see the caller ID. Chrome.

Oh my God...please.

Phew...here goes the money.

I picked it up. "Hello?" My voice was nervous and frantic, my nerves are twisting in predictions.

"Hey," he replied. The sound so different from his dark, British accent. I jumped at the sound of it.

I didn't say anymore. He seemed to pick up on my fear that he added, "Come to my house. Right now."

Oh God, he's angry, isn't he?

I let out a tight breath, "Yeah, I'll see you in ten."

Without a word, he drops the call, leaving me at the end of my wits. I decided to wear my usual clothes, needing the comfort badly.

...

I pressed the doorbell of his apartment, announcing my arrival. The door opens automatically. I whistled another breath again, balling my clammy hands.

You can do this, Kaye! Come on!

I pushed the door open, finding him sitting on the beige leather couch. He has his face on a magazine, flipping the pages. I left my shoes by the door, clearing my throat. "Ahem, uh, hi?"

He looks up, grinning.

Complete surprise. I expected worse.

"Do sit," he motioned to the couch across him. I timidly put on feet in front of the other, still afraid.

People like him are bombs.

I sat so uncomfortably that I shifted and shifted. He raised a brow at me, suspiciously alert of my actions.

"Why do you want me here?"

"I have a proposition."

"If it's about yesterday, I'm so sorry to disappoint you, Chrome."

He chuckled. "Actually, you made me outrageously happy."

"What?" And boom! There goes his bomb.

"This proposition...I want you to find somebody for me."

"Aren't you mad?"

"I'm delighted."

"But--"

"Seeing you yesterday, I should be the one to apologize on behalf of my father. We placed you in a difficult position. Is your boyfriend okay?"

"No, he--"

"I suppose he's not. I'm sorry." He licked his lips, his face apologetic. Before I could say another word, he adds, "That's why, I need you to find this girl."

He stood from his seat toward the fireplace where a lone picture was positioned. I squinted at it, a girl staring back. Even from a far, I could tell she was beautiful.

He brought it down, walking back towards where I was. He handed me the picture, pointing to the smiling face. Beautiful was an understatement. She was gorgeous. I suddenly felt weird.

And when I looked up, his eyes met mine, and I couldn't believe how close I was to him. I swallowed a lump.

They definitely fit together. No doubt.

He was utterly gorgeous even from up close. His eyes were so blue green, and they expressed sincerity and hurt. The bridge of his nose, the color of his lips.

I nodded, somewhat hypnotized.

He smiled and my heart seemed to burn. My chest was hot and jumpy. I nervously looked down on my pants, keeping a smile to myself.

"Then, what's in it for me?" I asked, breaking the moment.

"A promise to end this whole façade. Without. Without forgetting your money."

"You seem to point me as a gold digger, Ashfield."

"No, I was just understanding your situation. You're not a gold digger. You're different."

His sudden friendliness was creeping me out. I shuddered at it.

"Okay, you're getting creepy, Ash."

"Sorry, I'm just happy that...nothing."

His voice suddenly sounded cold. I looked up from my pants to him sitting crosses legged across me. His eyes were shining like steel, the freezing chill of the metal was making me jolt back. There was anger in them, hurt, the sincerity I once saw erased.

I sighed. Looking down again.

"I understand," I said, "You don't want to talk about it."

He nodded, grabbing the magazine again. I stood up, looking at him, "So, where do I start?"

"You'll probably need to start from public park."

I grinned, "Good, nobody knows these streets like I do."

I left his house, awkwardly feeling a bit psyched but down.