Located

Daphne

I watched the car fall from the height of a hundred feet before plunging into total darkness. I felt...different.

I feel so good. It was like something was pulled out of my chest and now I feel so free and happy. I was so relieved.

I bent down, clutching my knees to my chest, howling in laughter.

"Now no one's gonna take anything from me anymore!"

Chrome, 30 minutes before Kaye falls.

"Chrome!" Jerome shouts from the other end of the call, pestering me with twenty missed calls.

"I don't have time to talk right now. I need to go."

"You need to know something."

"What? Can't you just tell me the court's proceedings later?"

"No. It's not about the court."

"Come on. Kaye's in danger."

"All the more that I need to tell this. It's about Kaye, Chrome." He gravely said, "And Daphne."

What?

I accidentally press the loud speaker button as I slid into the driver's seat of my car.

"Daphne married my brother. She's my sister. And..." He paused, "She killed him."

"What?" Nathan says from outside, straddling his motorcycle as he and I revved the engines of our vehicles, interested at what was going on. "What do you mean she's married?"

"Go on, Jerome," I command, suddenly interested.

"There's been a call from Daphne. She called my brother's phone."

"Why would she call your brother's phone?"

"I don't know. He's been dead for a year now."

Don't police men know how to trace calls?

I looked at the passenger seat, looking for my handkerchief. Man...I was sweating heavily. I opened the compartment below the windshield, pushing things away to look for any tissue to wipe it away. Then, the dark shiny screen of a phone looks back at me.

Daphne's phone.

"Pierce! Pierce!" I screamed and Nathan looks up to look at my hand.

"Chief!" He called and the police chief jogged towards us.

"What is it, now?" He asked, looking at the phone too, confused.

"She's used a landline to call. Can you trace it?" I say.

"Will do," he grinned but immediately frowned, "But there are so many calls going round about the US. It would be forever to trace."

Then, Jerome who I left dangling for a moment speaks up, "In the voicemail, I could distinctly here the waves in the background. Maybe that will help."

"Yes, I'll run it right now." The chief of police said, "You boys go and I'll give you the specific location. If its the beach then rush East."

I nodded.

"Thanks Jerome," I say before I hung up.

*****

Kaye

There was nothing but the darkness and me and me and the darkness. It was so serene as death opens its comforting arms to me. The soft, hum of the ocean undercurrents were like music as it drowns the world and all its pain.