A Rumor

Joane sat with me on the couch, bringing me a cup of coffee. My nose was red of blowing all night and my voice was hoarse, like I lost it through the night of screaming.

I muttered a thanks and she nods.

We just sat there eyes glued to another Kdrama as it streamed on the television. "I don't know why but my life feels like a Kdrama," I laughed with my hoarse voice, it didn't sound like a laugh at all.

"You know, as a best friend...I fail, Kaye," she whispers, I swat her playfully on her arm,"No, you didn't. I just wanted to be alone at that time. Look, you even took care of me these past two days, Jo." She looked at me with apologetic eyes, "I swear, I'm going to be there for you. If Nathan hadn't called me about it, I wouldn't even know it. I don't watch the news you know."

"Well, you're here now and that's okay."

"So, you finally broke it, didn't you?"

"A contract marriage has to end in some sorts," I sigh, staring at the television, "I didn't want to prolong being married to someone the world wants to have."

"So, is it about having another party?"

"No, it's just me, getting tired, that's all." I'm sick of lying at the people who trust me to tell them everything. But these lies are my only choice to keep myself protected.

"Don't be like that, ever since that Daphne showed up, you're constantly blank and emotionless."

"I...well Daphne was...kind of involved. But it was just me."

"You're going to open up sooner or later," she sighed, finally giving up on prying, "I've known you for 10 years, I know when you're lying and when you're trying to be the bad guy."

I smiled at her, leaning my head on her shoulder. She puts an arm around me.

I was happy that way. But Chrome hasn't disappeared from my mind at all. I blankly watched the Kdrama, thinking about it all.

Officially the end, huh?

I sipped on the coffee, bittersweet on my tongue.

Joane shifted a bit, grabbing the newspaper I hadn't read and bothered. It had piled from three days ago, stuck on the table where I dump them. I didn't want to read the at all.

She reads them and I sit upright to avoide beinh uncomfortable. Suddenly, from the corner of my eyes, I watched her expression change. The paper she held was today and I moved closer to her to peek at what she was reading.

"What are you reading?"

She spun to face me, laughing. "Uh, it's just a funny article about some guy who fell in a ditch."

"Really? Let me read." I say, reaching out for the paper.

"N-no!" She says louder than necessary. She moved away from me, putting the newspaper back on the table.

"Why wouldn't you let me read?"

"It's a--it's not that  relevant at all. Anyway," she shifts the topic, her eyes back to the screen, "Look! They're capturing the maniac!"

My eyes were glued to the television again, sipping my cup of coffee that was getting empty.

Her phone dings, indicating a message. She took it out her pocket to read it.

Third Person POV

Joane opened her phone and saw that the text was from Nathan. She hurriedly read it.

Nathan: Has she read the news, yet?

She immediately sent him a reply.

Joane: No, not yet. He told it to the media? What a jerk.

Nathan: That's why you must not let her read it. Don't even let her out, there are people in front of her house right now preparing for a surprise attack.

Joane: Is it the papz? God, won't they just let her take a break?

Nathan: They want her opinion about it. And the people have twitted and commented about the news. They've gone pro to their break up.

Joane: Is the file he filed against her divorce?

Kaye was looking at her because her phone kept on dinging.

"What is it?" Kaye asked.

Joane smiled at her, "Work. My leave was approved by my boss. He said to take my time."

She is the boss, by the way. Joane lied at Kaye, comtinuing her conversation with Nathan.

Kaye had lost interest, switching to another channel.

Joane: Sorry, she noticed me taking too long.

Nathan: No it isn't divorce. They broke it off in some way, like an unofficial separation.

Joane: That jerk.

Nathan: He's worst than that. He's acting on an impulse. He hasn't acted this way before. I wonder why.

Joane: Maybe it's that woman.

Nathan: Daphne? Who else? Love of his life, my arse.

Joane: I thought she was married. Perhaps I heard wrong.

There was a moment of silence.

Then, Nathan replies.

Nathan: Married? To whom?

Joane: There was a rumor a year ago that she married some old guy.

Nathan: Really? I hadn't heard anything about that.

Joane: Perhaps it's just a rumor.

Nathan: The papz just noticed me parking outside. I have to go.

Joane: You're outside?

Nathan: Don't tell her. I already left.

Joane sighs, putting her phone away in her pocket. Kaye had drifted off to sleep somewhat, leaning on the arm of the couch. Joane went in her room to grab a blanket and draped it over Kaye.

At last, she was able to sleep. A good rest could freshen her face up. She looked pale and weary, with dark circles under her red eyes. Her nose so red and sore from blowing and her lips cracked. Pimples were sprouting here and there on her face. She looked awful, two days of bawling over Chrome had taken their toll.

Joane sat again beside her flipping the channel back to the Kdrama.