Going with the Flow

I lay on my bed awake. Lips tingling from his kiss earlier. It has become a habit. Surprise contacts. I just can't get it over my head. His moves, unpredictable.

I sigh again for what may have seen a hundred. I closed my eyes waiting for sleep to come. But it doesn't. I open them again, wondering. Is Chrome awake now? Does he think about it? About me? About us?

If it weren't for Daphne, would he?

I pondered on the word, if. And it was enough to keep me this awake at midnight.

I stopd up, walking over to my window. I glanced outside. It was quiet and I bet Keith is already asleep. I closed the curtains back and went out to the kitchen.

There, I find my relief. Water. Food.

I gobble up some cookies left on the chiller of the refigerator. Whether Keith owns this, I don't care.

Satisfied with my snack, I lay again on my bed. Thinking. Imagining.

Then my phone rings.

I grunted. Louis is making this a great habit. He should stop doing this.

Literally.

"Yes," I say, lowering my voice a pitch to pretend that I was newly awoken. To my surprise...it wasn't Louis.

"Let me in."

"Chrome?"

"Come on, let me in! It's cold out here!"

I rushed out of bed, nervously running towards the front door. Outside, Chrome stands, shivering on the porch. He didn't have his car with him.

I open it and ushered him in.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, sitting him down on the couch. I took some blankets from my bed in my room and rushed to coat him with it. He lets out a frozen breath at the relief of the warmth.

"I've...been...locked...out.."

"What? I thought you knew your password."

"Louis knew."

"What?"

"He knows Daphne has come back."

"How?"

"I thought you leaked it. But someone's being on a look out."

"I thought you were very discreet."

He smirks, his eyes mischievously looking into mine as I tucked the last blanket on him. He was so close. Too close. The tingling of my lips again starts to threaten me. I slapped him hard on his chest, putting as much distance between us.

He mutters a painful grunt, saying, "I wasn't too discreet about it. My mistake."

"Then, where's Daphne?"

"She's at her father's place, safe."

"So, you're the one's suffering this whole forbidden love thing. Pitiful, jerk."

"I didn't know you call me that way."

"I had nothing more to call you," I replied, glaring at him, "Jerk is not even enough for what you've done."

"For kissing you?"

I gulped in a breath, pushing the blood down that has risen to my face. I held in a squeal, holding back a smile with my jaws. "For everything. Anyway, that aside...get out after you're warmed up."

"But it's cold out there."

"I don't care if you freeze. Louis will burn me and you don't care."

"I saved your bum a thousand times if you just knew."

"Are we counting each other now, huh, Ashfield? I saved your face for a millionth time if you knew."

"Marked. But can't you just let me stay the night? The office is closed four hours ago."

"Then ask the dog to open it for you."

"Jake's loyalties lie on my father. Not me."

"Sis, what are you doing at this time of night?"

A door closes and I jolt up. Keith emerges from the hall, rubbing his eyes, as soon as he sees Chrome, he throws a hugh five. I rolled my eyes, taking my exit.

"Let him stay. Just one night. That's all."

I closed my door and begged for sleep to come.

But before that, I hit my head on the wall. Why? Where has my anger gone after all this time?

You guys may have wondered that because on the previous chapter, I was bent down mad at him.

And now, I'm looking for the only thing that could keep me from falling further and help me back on stable ground. The only thing that could make me sleep.

The thing I had, now lost because of my foolish feelings.