Searching for Her

I love you.

I like you.

Kaye.

I shuddered, the jitters all over my body. It was so creepy and so weird. It couldn't be right. It couldn't be true. He was just freaking drunk. Nothing more.

But the words replayed inside my head, his voice going on and on and on. It's break time, a cup of chilled coffee on my hand was getting luke-cold. I stared at the brown liquid.

I love you.

Oh Lord, please erase my memories. Everything please, I beg of you.

Frowning, I took one big gulp, finishing the coffee, before heading in.

I love you.

Again, it bothers me. I shook my head, the thoughts juggling inside my brain that has malfunctioned since I met Ashfield.

I went home, grabbing my bag, in a daze. I rang the bell. The knob turns and he lets me in with a frown. "Way to greet your husband, huh?" He says, closing the door and adjusting his tie.

I turned around to face him and my eyes landed on his neck. His collarbone. His chest. His torso. His skin. His lips. His nose. His eyes. His hair. His legs.

Woah...stop right there brain. You can't process this in. It'll poison you.

But it already did anyway.

I gulped, looking away quickly. "Whatever," I say, hiding the nervousness in my voice away, "I'm dead tired."

He frowns even deeper. Casting me a slight glance, he then strode into his room, locking his door.

I remembered our talk last night.

Find her for me.

I sigh, better get it done soon. I'm dead tired. If I want quits on this life, I should find Daphne. Gosh, I'm getting freaking crazy of hearing his voice in my head.

I took a minute of rest on the couch before standing up and heading to the park. It was still four in the afternoon, I've got a lot of time.

*****

I glanced at my watch, again. It read five thirty and I was tired. I'm a bit sweaty, and terribly exhausted. I looked around me, the park was filled with people and still no face of such beauty. I sighed, sipping a drink from my coke.

I promised him I'll look harder. And you, Kaye, never break promises.

I sighed again, standing up. My hand digs into my bag to retrieve a thick stack of white bondpapers with a face and a name of "Daphne Summers" sprawled in bold black letters. I feel a weight on my shoulders. It's tiring to do this. I shouldn't have promised him! Why am I torturing myself?

A woman passed by, I handed one copy. A couple passed by I handed one copy. An old man passed by I handed another copy. Several people passed by I handed them several copies. Adding, "Please contact me if there's any news about her, she's my missing sister."

A clear and innocent white lie.

Just why am I helping Ashfield?

God...why?

Then his eyes flashes in my mind and his cries, I'm hearing them again. Such a poor and lonely soul. His beauty is wasted in his sorrow.

Hate to admit, but he's handsome.

Yeah, so he's handsome.

Handsome.

Yeah! He's handsome, okay, brain?

I rolled my eyes, I'm such a crazy person. I control my brain. My brain doesn't talk. So why is it teasing me?

I sighed again. Handing out more papers until I ran out of them.

I debated if I'm going to hail a taxi, wanting to go home.

Home, with Ashfield?

*clears throat

I shook my head, sighing. I chose to linger on for a while, clear my head of his junk.

I like you.

I love you.

Yeah he's said that, but he didn't mean you, Kaye. He's not saying it to you. He's saying it for Daphne.

For Daphne, he loves her.

Damn! What's this tightening down my stomach? It really hurts!

Thinking I was hungry, I walked towards the nearest fast food chain. Maybe it's just my stomach hungry. I reached the fast food chain, grabbing a chair by the door.

I order chicken wings and a sundae. This, for sure, will stop the pain.

Having my order, I proceeded to eat.

The interior of the building was nicely designed, windows from the ceiling to the floor. I looked out into the night from behind the glass windows, the sky getting dimmer and dimmer. It was turning violet as I watched shadows grow. Then my eyes catch on something.

A familiar man standing from behind the bushes with a pair of glinting eyes.

The kidnapper.

I watched him, my body frozen. It was suddenly getting cold as he smiled menacingly. I shuddered.

He mouths from the distance.

Tomorrow, same place. Here. Midnight.

I swallowed my food. It felt like thorns that peirced my throat. I watched him disappear into the night.

I didn't feel like eating anymore. The pain was rising to my throat like acid and I suddenly feel sick. I grabbed my bag, staggering out of my seat. The security guard looked concern as he helped me stand.

"I'm okay," I said to him. He guides me to the door. I smiled at him in thanks. He nods.

I staggered out in the cold night air.

My vision gets blurry. The pain was worsening. Like acid burning my innards. I feel nauseous. But I held it in.

I'm okay. I'm okay.

I walked the sidewalks, holding the railings for support. The cars were speeding by and I suddenly lose balance in the spur of the yellow bright lights passing by.

Tomorrow's Friday. The deadline.

I breathed deep as I picked myself up. A couple of passersby looked at me. One asked if I was okay. I nodded, getting hold of myself.

I held the railings to stand, shaking the dizziness.

I hailed a taxi.

I rode inside, the air condition chilling me more than ever, but it kept the sweat gathering on my forehead from reproducing. I directed him Chrome's apartment, drowsily instructing him. The pain in my stomach has risen, it seemed like I want to vomit. I opened the window, the night air making me better a bit.

As we rolled into the driveway of the building, I see a familiar person standing by the lobby door.

"Where in the world were you?" He asked but it seemed like rubbish to my ears. He paid the cab, helping me out of the backseat. "I-I was..."

He sighed, leaning me onto him. He holds me tight, supporting the weight of my body. My feet were getting jelly every minute. I staggered to walk straight.

He lets out a little grunt as he lifts me off the floor. "Trust me, I'll never let you go," he says, carrying me. I couldn't hear him at all because there was a piercing sound inside me, silencing every earthly sound. I nodded, losing consciousness in his arms.