That Feeling When You're Sure That He's The One

Hi guys! I'm baaaaack! Phew, exams really are the worst times in my life.

Anyway...here's a chapter and I hope you like it!

For these past days, I am so thankful for all of you who read, voted, commented, added, and WAITED! I know that it took me a very looong time to update and I know you've been there, waiting, I am so sorry again for the inconvenience T^T.

Thank you all and have fun!

****

I watched the hours tick by, deeply worrying. A lawyer for one, is very expensive. His services would require a lot of money. And my resources are limited now.

I chewed on my nails, irritated. Money was one thing I always had trouble with. Money was all the reason I landed myself again in this bottom of a pit I can't even get myself out of. I sigh, releasing my anger with a scream. Which was good. Let it go, they say.

I was alone at home. All by myself. With lots of worries and things to straighten out.

At least, these problems were the only one who were with me always. My constant companion and I can't feel but get used to the pressure and stress.

Hasn't it been my comfort and distraction from the start?

I looked away from the clock, closing my eyes as I lay on the uncomfortable squeaky old couch.

I need to find a lawyer.

A cheap one but the best that I could get.

I stood up and proceeded to my room to get dressed.

****

I looked at the list of lawyers I took from my mother's drawer which for a long time I never cleared out. It was the only piece of her left with me.

I nibble on the pencil tip, crossing out another expensive lawyer that could leech me off.

I sigh, tapping the coffee table. I came in late today but Nathan's sister got me a replacement for half of the day. It was obvious that Nathan adviced his sister to do so just to help me.

Again, I mark another thing to be gratified of of Nathan's friendship.

But I knew for him, it was more than being friends. I couldn't hurt him too. If Chrome was wicked of using me as a rebound, Nathan would be hurt as much as I was if I ever make him one. I don't want to be a wicked person.

I sigh again for the umpteenth time.

Clarisse smiled at me from behind the counter, serving a girl just about my age.

I smiled back, pretending nothing was wrong. Now, I looked back at the list again, there was only one lawyer left to check.

Jerome George.

I encircled it with my pencil, gathering my things that lay scattered on the coffee table. I stuffed everything into my painter's bag, waving at Clarisse before rushing out of the café.

I hailed a taxi, giving the driver directions to where Jerome George was.

****

I came inside the airconditioned office of a law firm, his secretary, maybe?greeting me with a smile.

People were smiling at me and it was getting tiring to smile at them too since I didn't have the urge to be polite and happy today.

But I just got this feeling that something was oddly right. Like an intuition or something that made me assured that Jerome George was the one I was looking for.

"Are you Mrs. Ashfield?" She croaked but I could sense the excitement in her tone, "I'm Ana, Mr. George's assistant."

"Hello, nice to meet you."

"Well, what are you here for?" She smiles but after a few seconds she gasped, realizing what she just said, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize that Mr. Ashfield and you are having---" she was cut off by a voice that had familiarity to it. It was deeply attractive and I spun on my heel in surprise.

The same guy.

The same guy I bumped with in the street.

He towers over me like how Chrome would and it pained me of how I missed Chrome standing beside me and reassuringly put his hand on the small of my back. I missed Chrome. No matter how deep anger and hate turned me against him, I missed Chrome.

I was caught in my silence as he waited for me to move aside.

"Mr. George, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Ana aplogized.

"You have been sworn to seal your mouth shut, Ana. Shut it this time or I swear you'll have no job at the end of the day." He scolded, moving past me.

"Anyway, I was expecting you, Ms. Green."

"H-how--? Expecting me?" I stammered. It was baffling at how he smiled at me as if he had something up his sleeve. As if he knew everything that happened to me. I gulped. He laughs. But no matter how similar he was to Chrome, his voice and laugh was different, foreign.

"Here, let's go in my office and talk. Ana, please, as much as you want to know, don't eavesdrop. I'm turning on the CCTV to make sure."

I looked back at Ana who seemed offended and disappointed but knowing that she and George had a long way back, she shrugged it off, giggling. "Well, I'll take this chance as my free hour. I'll be down shopping, Mr. George, call me when you're both done." She waved and with a wink at me, she went out the door.

Mr. George sighed, "I don't know what I'm going to do to her. Anyway, shall we?" He asked, ushering me in his office.

Inside, it was quite the formal design. Not monochromatic as Chrome's but business seemed to mark every piece of color in the room. Only several greens and wood colored furnitures brought a sort of cozy welcome. He lead me to a seat in front of a large oak table filled with papers and clipboards. I nod at the place which seemed really like a lawyer's office. I sat on the chair and he slides in his seat behind the table, looking at me with eyes that gleamed as if he knew something.

If I play my cards right, I'll make him spill the beans.

"Okay, according to your situation right now, Mr. Ashfield sent you a court document approximately two days ago."

"How do you know that? Were you stalking me?" I asked, fascinated as if he was there when I was in trouble.

"No, but seeing you in the tabloids and meeting you two days ago made me guess what was really happening. I hate to break this, Ms. Green, should I call you that? Or would you prefer Mrs. Ashfield?"

"Just Kaye, please. I don't even know what my surname is."

"Okay, Kaye. As much as I hate it breaking this to you, I have to," after a long pause he added, "You don't look too happy with him."

As much as I hate him breaking it to me...

But nevermind. He was getting my attention already. Actually, he was making me choose him as my lawyer.

With interest at its peak, I smile at him, "It's okay. It's the truth I have to face."

"I am happy that you know where you stand, Kaye. And I would like to help you."

"As I would like you to help me," I answered back. He was the one. I can feel it. I can think it. I know it.

"It's settled then!" He clapped his hands together, "You're a one of a kind client, Kaye. You do know what you want."

"Yes, I do." Do I? Maybe? Instead of a talk of money, he was making me stuffed up and ready for a match with Chrome. Which was one thing that made me sure. He was here to help. A lawyer like this is unique. He doesn't work for the sake of money. He was working for his client's freedom.

But am I really choosing him?

"And what do you want?" He cuts my thoughts, eyeing me with that glint in his eyes again.

I answer without hesitation, "I want to clear my name and make Chrome look like a fool to everybody."

He laughs, "And I'll give you just that."