A Turn

My head hurts as I rose up from the floor. It was terribly cold this morning as I looked up the calendar. October 24, Saturday. Day off. Finally.

But my responsibilities to clean the house kicks in. Uhhh, I have to go and do general cleaning.

I opened my door to see my brother finishing the last of the rooms. He cleaned all. Except mine, of course. I looked at him dumbfounded.

"What are you doing?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"I'm supposed to do that."

"Well, who woke up at eleven thirty six?"

"What?!" I gasped, running back into my room to blink at the alarm clock beside me.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I called to him. He sighs, "I did. But you wouldn't budge. Jake even dropped you a stack of books but you just squirmed deeper into your pillow."

"Jake came over? What's his business?"

"Mr. Louis left him a message to give to you."

"Where?"

"There, under the table." He points, leaving with a broom and a mop. He goes to the kitchen and washes the mop clean, leaving it to dry.

I proceeded to the table, eagerly opening the envelope. This is going to be my end. The end of the contract. Finally?

I sighed, unfolding the paper.
But instead seeing the termination of the contract, my eyes widen.

Good morning dear, we're short on staff today since most of them went home for the holidays. They'll be gone in three months and I can't run my business without any of the staff left.

I'm hiring you as Chrome's receptionist for the time being.

Thank you.

P.S. You can't say no. An office romance is exciting, good luck!

I put down the paper and Keith grabs it. After reading he laughs, poking me on the side.

Just when things are going so down between me and Chrome.

How should I face him? Should I just back this one out? This is my only chance isn't it? The chance I'm waiting for to know what he really does feel.

But he clearly made it so clear back at the cafe yesterday.

Seems like Louis didn't know about Daphne finally appearing out of nowhere.

I dialed up Louis, he picks up on the third ring. "Good morning, hello, Louis?"

"Yes dear?"

"Can I back out?"

"Have you read the note?"

"Yes. I can't work with you."

"Do you understand what P.S. means?"

"Uh, yes?"

"Good then you're coming here in ten minutes."

"What? No! Wait!" He hanged up, leaving me flustered.

What shall I do? Chrome's assistant? I'll take any job please not just that.

But I can't say that now. I jolt up to the sound of a car horn.

I screamed into the sofa, anger and irritation was seething in me. I opened my windows. Jake the dog. What a day.

******

"Good morning, Mrs. Ashfield." Loraine greets from the reception desk. "Just keep it as Green please."

"You're too shy, Mrs. Ashfield. Come, he's waiting for you."

I gulped, loosening the hem of my collar. I wore a polo and a pencil skirt today and if he criticizes the way I dress again, I don't know what I'll do to him. I'm doing this for Louis. This outfit is never my style.

Loraine opens the door and Chrome looks up, what an irritated face he has.

"I'm leaving you both alone." Loraine whispers, closing the door after her.

"Uh, hi?" I squeaked not knowing what to say.

"You're terrible in dressing up."

"Of course I am! This is not my style!"

"You're getting fat, by the way."

"What a thing to say to a woman!"

"A woman? Sorry I didn't notice you're one."

I walked with a fast pace towards his table, grabbing his tie.

"You dare make me mad?"

"And you dare to say yes to work with me?"

"Louis forced me to. If I did say yes I would've dressed a bit more enthusiastically!"

"Then why did you come?"

"It's not like I have a choice! Jake the dog made my neighbors angry by blowing the car horn many times!"

"You always have a choice. Like for example, leave me as I am or continue pulling my tie."

"I'm choking you. I really want to slaughter you now Ashfield!"

"Well, I didn't know you're this type of person when you're jealous."

"What?! J-jealous? Why on Earth would I be jealous?"

"It's because Daphne is back. And your services aren't needed anymore."

"Excuse me, field of ash, I am not a love sick gold digger!"

"But admit it. You did fall in love for me."

"What?! No!" I denied, laughing at his face but sweat drips down from my forehead. Despite the chilly climate, I'm perspiring. The edges of his lips tug, a smile appearing on his face.

"You look cute when you're angry."

"You're teasing me! How rude!"

"I don't care. Only the fun counts. I knew you loved me. Didn't you?"

"N-no! I didn't!"

"Stop denying. Jake told me you've been going on and on about an office romance."

What the dog.

He's practically loyal to this guy.

"He's lying. It was Louis who mentioned that office romance thing!"

"Stop hesitating. I know you want it to happen too, you love me."

"I love you but not to the point of seducing you!"

"Well, let my tie go then."

"Galdly!" I fumed, realizing I was still holding his tie that started to loosen revealing his collar bone.

My heart beats fast.

I turned away, walking fast towards the door. The atmosphere was getting embarrassing. But as I reached the knob, his hand closes on mine. I gasped.

I turned around. He smirks, kissing me full on the lips.

****

Hey there! To my loyal readers thank you so much for patiently waiting! I know I hadn't updated so long. I'm terribly sorry but please don't give up on this story! I swear there are still more surprises to come.

-D.S.