The Evidence

"I'm hiring you to investigate the case. This accident is no ordinary accident, Jake. I want to know who did this to my father and Daphne."

Chrome's eyes were grave and hard like steel, his voice was too. He was so serious with everything, sitting on his high chair in his office. I listened to their conversation with his documents in my hand. Lorraine was running a bit late and I barely know how to operate as his secretary.

"Yes, Mr. Asfhield. I'll let everyone on the team know."

"Good." He confirms with a tight line of his lips.

I wonder if he'll ever smile again after this.

I looked at the paintings on the walls, its monochromatic color was just Chrome's style. I sigh, leaning on the wall.

"Kaye." He says and I steadied myself up rather carelessly. "Yes?" I cleared my throat.

"Clear my schedule. I'm going to the hospital."

"What?"

"Clear all the meetings. I'm leaving for the hospital."

"Oh," I muttered, nodding, going out the door to my desk. I turned my computer on...

But I don't know what to do.

"Uh," I entered his office again, "I-I don't know how to do it."

"Yeah, I figured. You're not techy."

"That hurts but well," I shrugged. He lets out a breath, walking past me. He stands behind the computer.

"What are you standing there for? Come here, I'll teach you."

"Me?"

"Are you really this dense? Sit." He commands and I obey.

I sit on my chair, his torso so close to my proximity. I closed my eyes, hard. The feelings in me where going loose. I trapped a breath, letting them die down.

But they don't. Chrome takes my hand and it fuels them more. I choked on my trapped breath, "Here's how you do it," he says.

He drags the mouse with my hand, clicking here and there. My hand was burning, ignited. I was still closing my eyes.

"How will you learn if you close your eyes?"

He asks, stopping for a moment, still holding my hand. His breath was so close to my face.

I suddenly open my eyes, "Sorry," I say, "I felt sleepy for a moment."

He sighs, turning back to the computer screen.

"Let's start again."

*****

"Chrome, here's a cup of coffee." I held him a cup from the cafe. He looks up from his hands, nodding to me. "Thank you." He says.

The beeping sound was the only sound inside the room as he watched Daphne and I watched Louis.

It's almost midnight and he's still wide awake. I was getting sleepy, wrapping myself with my arms. It was chilly.

I sucked in a breath.

"Are you cold?" He asks, his blue green eyes staring at me. I stared back, wide eyed.

I shook my head.

"You should probably go home." He suggests, leaning on the back of his seat, "You shouldn't be here."

"You're wrong. I should be here. Louis needs attention too. Don't worry I'll let you dote on Daphne. I'll take care of Louis."

He remains silent as if shot. I rolled my eyes in victory. I watched Louis underneath all the wires and tape. He looked death like.

I sigh, sitting on the couch by the wall across Chrome. He was staring at the cup of coffee, rubbing his thumb over the cup. I rubbed my arms again, the chilly atmosphere sends my teeth chattering. I crossed my legs, trying to get warmth.

I close my eyes, finding sleep.

I woke up to the beep of my alarm watch, 3:30 am. To my surprise I found myself lying down with a blanket over me and a pillow under my head. My eyes dart to Chrome. He was on the chaise longue, sleeping. Louis and Daphne were still unconscious.

Then, I hear voices.

"Jake, the evidence is there, what more can you deny it with?"

"No, I can't believe she did that."

"Then watch it again. Even I'm surprised she'd do that."

"I'm worried."

"For who? Her?"

"No, for Chrome. What would he do? Should I tell him this?"

"Young Master ordered us evidence and whether we like it or not, we must not care."

"I can't believe all this," Jake sighs, I listened with a brow raised.

Daphne? Is she the she they're talking about?

Chrome...how would you take it?

******