My Last Chance

I awoke, finding Joanne sleeping beside me on my bed. It was cold in the dawn as I struggled to get out of bed. I decided to visit Louis. For sure, Chrome wouldn't be around this time of the day along with his Daphne and their paparazzi.

I bathed quickly, checking my watch. Three in the a.m. I prepared myself a little meal of coffee and toast. I sat down to eat.

"Up so early?" A voice said. I jumped in recognition.

"N-Nathan? What are you doing here?"

"Joanne let me in, I was worried."

"Right, no phone," I sighed, smiling at him through tired eyes, "You don't have to worry, I'm perfectly fine."

"You know, my offer...it's still available if you want--"

"We're not talking about that Nathan," I shut the topic down rather mean, I felt sorry for him. But I didn't want him hurting from the pain of being a rebound.

He uncomfortably looked away, whistling, "Way cool to turn me down that way but I understand."

"Thank you but let me tell you, don't wait. I don't plan to involve myself with love ever again."

I gasped at what I said, the same meaning...my mother. She receive flowers from an old lover back then, after my father left. She laughed at it, telling her friend the same meaning those words I said meant. I suppose we're leading the same lives. My hand curls around the mug, seeking comfort in the heat.

I suppose I'm doomed in love even before I noticed I am.

Again, I'll never involve myself as irrational and irrelevant as love.

There was silence before Nathan found his words, I felt partially bad but it's better than hurting him with the false hopes I might give him. He's too handsome and perfect to be wasted on me. He's got to find another. Someday, I'll help hunt a suitable girlfriend for him.

"Anyway, that aside, you're going jogging this early? Well, that's great. You could lose a little pounds. You've gained weight."

"Hey!" I grinned at him, "Never say that to a lady!"

"Hahaha, fine, fine. Where are you actually going?"

"To Louis."

"Are you insane?" He grimaced, crossing his arms on his chest, "Chrome would be waiting there to hurt you again. The hand didn't heal yet, didn't it? I bet he didn't even notice it all when he brought you to his apartment."

"Yeah..." my voice trailed off, rather disappointed. "But it's still very early. He's not awake yet, probably."

"The probability of him asleep is half of a whole, you can't risk it."

"Just let me go to Louis. I want to see if he's alright."

"I wonder where he took after, bother his parents are kind and considerate people. If you badly want to go, then, I'll come with you, in case he's there."

"I can't thank you enough, Nate."

"I'm just glad to help," he said, "I'd better start the car."

"Can we stop by your shop? There's a few bucketwheat flowers I'd like to purchase."

"Bucketwheat?"

"Yes," I nodded. He agreed.

We locked up the house with Joanne in it still snoring and drove out the gate. It was quiet all the way towards his shop, just one or two cars speeding past. The wind was howling, blowing with fierce chill. I waited for him inside his Ford. After several minutes, he went out the back door. He slipped into the driver's seat, handing me the flowers. There were too many...

I nervously smiled at him, giving him my pay. He shook his head at first, explaining that I didn't need to pay. But I insisted, in the end, it ended up in his jacket pocket.

The ride to the hospital was eerie and cold in four in the morning. I closed my door, waiting for Nathan to finish locking up.

We rode the elevator together and pressed Louis' floor.

The elevator doors opened, we stepped out. We walked down several doors, opening the one with the biggest door.

There were no guards.

I looked around, finding no one.

I felt relieved. Nathan didn't enter, posting himself outside as lookout, that way, I'd never had to see Chrome.

I walked over to where Louis was, taking in how he looked, oxygen tanks, tubes...He looked miserably miserable. I dragged a chair from across the room, setting it up beside him. I put the flowers down, separating the excess and the ones I'd give. Then, I took his hand in mine.

The only father I knew.

I closed my eyes, finding tears again to cry my situation out. I'm careful not to touch the dextrose tube.

"Hey, Louis," I say, smiling at him, he seemed to smile back too, I comfortably, lay my head beside his arm, "I'm doing fine, Louis. Keith has gone abroad. You have missed a lot lately. Chrome and I just broke it off."

I continued, "You know, Nathan's courting me. But I turned him down. Daphne, she's with Chrome. I know you don't really like her but Chrome's wanting to have her."

The last sentence felt hurt. I closed my eyes, "Louis...It hurts so much."

There was only silence but I understood, then the door creaks open a bit. Nathan peaked in, "His guards are coming."

I gasped, dragging back the chair to the place where I got it from.

With a last look, I pleaded, running out of time, "Please wake up and help me...please."

Nathan and I quickly took the fire escape route, the stairs slippery in each steps but we hurried nonetheless.

He's my last chance.

The video didn't seem enough to the judges. They wanted a testimony. And I needed Louis. Badly. More than ever.

And I'll have no trouble having him testify for me.

Only if he wakes up and if...Chrome would ever allow him to.

*****

Hi guys! Late updates...I know. Anyway, I've decided I'll update two to three chapters every weekend in my time zone. Thank you so much for all the patience. Thank you sooo much for the votes, adds, comments, and reads! I love you all! Take care!      -D.S.