36

"Patina Miller and Daniel Dae Kim."

You sat beside Daveed, holding his hand. Here it was, the big night. You hoped that Daveed would win this, because he really deserved it.

"Acting is an ancient and mysterious craft, which, practiced with diligence and undiminished passion, can awaken a staggering sense of truth," Patina began. Her voice soothed you somehow.

"The work of these five men in particular opened minds and transcended race and stereotype," Daniel continued "The nominees for the Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical are,

"Daveed Diggs, Hamilton." Daveed looked up from your hand and you looked over at him, smiling, as you pulled your hand out of his to applaud along with the crowd.

"Brandon Victor Dixon, Shuffle Along, Or the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed." Deep down you asked yourself who would come to think of a title so long.

"Christopher Fitzgerald, Waitress." Who is this?

"Jonathan Groff, Hamilton." Groffathan!

"And Christopher Jackson, Hamilton." Three guys of your cast and you had no idea who you wished the Tony the most.

"And the Tony goes to," Patina then said and you instantly took Daveeds hand again. He looked over at you and smiled softly, squeezing your hand a little so you would calm down.

The suspense was killing you and you squeezed Daveeds hand back, when finally "Daveed Diggs, Hamilton."

Immediately you pulled your hand away from his and began to clap, standing up as soon as he did and watched as he made his way towards the stage. Tears were poking at your eyes but you swore yourself not to cry.

When Daveed opened up his speech with "Oh man," you couldn't help but laugh softly, a bright smile tugging at your lips that it slowly started to hurt.

"Alright, look, so, umm, when I was in preschool we were supposed to do, uh, like a, like a, performance to the parents, and I didn't wanna do it. My mom talked to the teacher, she came back, she said 'You don't have to do it, but you have to do something.' And I said I wanted to do a gymnastics routine with my dad."

You chuckled, knowing this story already. Daveed had told you this one some while ago and it was honestly the sweetest thing anyone ever told you.

"And a couple days later my dad showed up, with me, in matching rainbow tights and we did this gymnastics routine in front of the parents. And the important part of that story to me, is that, one, my mom gave me permission to do something that the others didn't do and two my dad supported me and made it possible."

Daveed was interrupted by the crowd cheering. Now you had to wipe a tear. But only a small one.

"I think a lot of us are here because people in our lives did that so, thank you, mom and dad, who are here tonight and thats so crazy. Thank you to Y/N my love, who is also here, my brother Malcolm who is watching at home."

The list of thank you's went on, but eventually Daveed had to close his speech up.

"Thank you all so much, this is crazy."