Public Transport (Loke x Reader) (Modern AU)

--a few of these past oneshots have been moved over from the second book, this one included--

BIRTHDAY ONESHOT

Taking the bus to and from school was never an ideal for me. I hated the stuffy vehicle filled with hawk-eyed people that stare at you and follow your every move. Especially with multiple bags, sitting next to a complete stranger is not something I enjoy.

Unfortunately, there was no other way for me to get home after school - both my parents worked long hours and there was no way for me to walk home from school - so I was stuck with the stuffy bus, day in and day out.

Of course, when it's raining and you have to catch public transport, it's the worst. The. Fucking. Worst. Everyone wants to go home and they all track on dirty water and mud on through their shoes.

It gets even worse when it's your birthday. With more bags than usual, with more eyes on you than usual just because of the badges.

I kept my head down, eyes trained on the contents of one of the presents bags. Light green tissue paper poked out of the top, just covering the gift from when I had hastily unwrapped it earlier. Despite my efforts to avoid all contact, I could still feel the eyes of strangers on me.

The bus pulled up to the next stop and already the bus was filling up, the last available seats disappearing due to the heavy rain lashing down on the pavements outside.

I glanced up and saw an old lady hobbling on, bus ticket in hand. Her glassy eyes scanned the bus, looking for any seat.

I drew my lips into a thin line, clutched the handles of my bags and stood up to offer the seat to her. Her smile shone as she graciously took the seat.

Looking back down, I shuffled backwards towards the back of the bus where all the other people who were standing were.

The bus lurched forward, making me stumble and lose my footing. I slipped backwards and I let out a sound of surprise as I collided into someone behind me.

A hand gripped my upper arm and another steadied my waist. A flush of embarrassment washed over me  and I turned to look at who caught me.

They wore a bomber jacket and over-sized jeans. His hair was wild and a pair of black glasses fell before his eyes.

A grin spread across his face and I quickly averted my eyes. I heard his smooth voice mumble, "it seems like you fell for me. Happy birthday."

"Thanks," I replied quietly.