Questions

April 1974

In July of 1973, the band released there first album 'Queen', Mary had brought the album for Amelia and it was the only music she would listen to for the next few months. It wasn't long before Queen jumped straight back into the studio to produce their second album.

Their second album 'Queen II' was released in March 1974. In the aftermath of the release, Queen joined Mott the Hoople for their UK tour as there opening act.

Despite begging, Amelia did not go with them, she had school and Freddie doesn't want to take her away from her friends so she stayed with Mary. Amelia is now 4 years old and coming toward the end of her reception year at school.

Freddie missed them immensely while he was away, as did Amelia, but he called them every two days to talk to Amelia and the cats.

But right now Freddie is back from tour and currently enduring a very mundane part of being a dad, parents evening.

Freddie stood talking to Jessica's mum, Claire, waiting to talk to the teacher while Amelia played with Jessica.

They were there twenty minutes before Amelia's teacher finally called Freddie into the classroom. Claire agreed to keep an eye on Amelia.

The teacher greeted him with a smile and shook his hand. "Good evening Mr Mercury, sorry about the wait. I'm Mrs Jenkins, Amelia's reception teacher." They both took a seat, "Before I start do you have any questions or concerns about Amelia's progress?"

Freddie thought for a moment but couldn't think of anything, "I don't think so. She always seems happy to come to school, which I believe is a good sign."

"Good. Well, I don't have any concerns either. Amelia is very well behaved, polite, a good influence on the other children and a delight to have in class. When it comes to your daughter's schoolwork, it's her work ethic that you should be proud of." Mrs Jenkins paused pulling out Amelia's work folder.

"In what way?" Freddie asks listening intently to what she is saying. Being away on tour had meant he sometimes missed things.

"Your daughter is bright Mr Mercury. She is working at a higher level than most children at her age. Her maths skills are incredible, she can multiple big numbers in her head in an instant and some of the work she's been doing is Year 1 work. It's coming towards the end of the school year now but when she goes into Year 1 I've suggested to her next teacher that they keep her working at a higher level. Otherwise, she is going to get bored in class."

"I'm happy with that. I know she likes school. But will it just be for her, coz I don't want the other children to pick on her for getting special treatment." Freddie is well aware of what other children can be like to those who are good at school.

"No, it will be Amelia, her friend Jessica Daley and one other little boy. I'm sure your aware that Amelia and Jessica are good friends but they are just as bright as each other and they bounce off one another with there work, they help each other in class. We usually try to mix children up as they move through the school years but I think it will benefit both of them if we keep them together."

"Yes I approve of their friendship and I'd prefer it if you could keep them together." He's glad Amelia is doing so well.

"Amelia is working at a high level in all aspects of her work, except for P.E and geography but she's not struggling with them either. She has a passion for science, music and art. Amelia is very creative, she loves a messy art project."

"Oh, I'm well aware of her creative side." Freddie mused at the fact grinning from ear to ear. The teacher finished up a few moments later and he couldn't be prouder his daughter. Not just for her work but for being so well behaved.