8| It Can't Be, Can It?

My eyebrows furrowed together after the huge black dog linked off down the stairs

My eyebrows furrowed together after the huge black dog linked off down the stairs. I felt myself exhaling a huge breath of air that I didn't realized I was holding. The sounds of students exiting the Great Hall made me flinch and decide to return to the Potions classroom in the Dungeons.

They can't know I saw my brother, they'll think I've been helping him enter the castle, I thought to myself.

Once I reached the entrance of the Potions classroom and entered, I took a deep breath again, I walked back out, as though I had just finished my detention and that I hadn't witnessed what I had saw earlier.

Once I had reached the staircase, the cries of surprise and fear echoed pretty quickly. I went up. As I neared the Fat Lady's portrait, the cries grew louder and louder. Students below my year made way for me, knowing that I had to see; I stood beside Harry who was staring at the portrait with disbelief.

"Are you alright there, Harry? Are you hurt?" I asked worriedly as I stroked his back repeatedly, hoping to make him feel better.
"I'm fine, Selene. Thanks anyway." he replied bluntly.

"Somebody freaking call Dumbledore!" I ordered loudly over the sea of frightened students that surrounded us.

"Selene?" asked Angelina Johnson, who was a close friend of mine and my fellow member in the Gryffindor team. "What happened here?"

"I-I don't know." I answered, shaking my head in response, my expression reflecting hers.

As the chaos commenced, the words orbited my mind.

"Please Selene, I'm innocent, you've got to trust me!"

~oOo~

The aftermath of the incident with the Fat Lady was a complete blur. Dumbledore sent us Gryffindors into the Great Hall, and about ten minutes later we were joined by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin who were all looking fully confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle. I'm afraid that, for your own safety you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately. Send word with one of the ghosts." Dumbledore announced.

I saw Professor Mcgonagall and Flitwick closing all the doors from a distance.

And with a wave of Dumbledore's wand, the tables were moved to the edge of the hall and hundreds of purple sleeping bags lay across the hall floor.