46| Safe and Sound

"Oh

"Oh ... my ... TED!!"

Tonks and I were upstairs, sleeping peacefully when we heard Andy screaming for Ted from the living room.

Judging by the tone of her voice, something terrible must've happened. The two of us quickly ran downstairs, still wearing our pajamas to see what had happened, both of our wands gripped tightly in our hands.

Ted had come as well, running worriedly toward the living room.

Andy was sitted on the floor, her hair tied into a bun and wearing her cream nightgown and slippers; supposedly fell from the couch, her hand clasped on her mouth and the other holding the Daily Prophet. Her face was pale, and she was shaking.

"What is it, darling?" Ted asked worriedly, kneeling beside Andy who did not reply to his question and stared at the paper with wide eyes.

"Dora, check the house!" Ted hollered as Tonks immediately checked the kitchen and even outside.

"Andy, are you alright?" I asked, grabbing Andy's shoulder.

"D-dark. D-dark." she muttered.

"What?!" I asked.

"The Dark Mark." she replied, still shaken.

Ted and I exchanged looks.

The Dark Mark? Around these times?

How could it be, I thought to myself. Majority of the Death Eaters (Voldemort's followers) were locked up in Azkaban after the First Wizarding War. But some, managed to escape, such as Lucius Malfoy, Andy's brother-in-law and Malfoy's dad.

Ted quickly took the paper in her hands, Andy's hands clasping on her mouth. I leaned over Ted's shoulder and saw the headline: SCENES OF TERROR AT THE QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP.

My eyes flew wide and noticed that that the front page was complete with a twinkling, black-and-white image of the Dark Mark over the tree-tops.

"God Almighty." Tonks muttered who had just come back inside and saw the front page of the Daily Prophet as well.

A sickening feeling suddenly surged over me. And I had not felt this feeling for a long time. I very much, understood the gravity of the Dark Mark – the fear it had brought to us all during the First Wizarding War.

I was born during a height of a war that raged on. A war fought in and died in. I knew the feeling of fear myself. The war claimed so many lives. Friends, even families lost. And I perfectly knew the feeling of losing someone during a war.