23| Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day came more quick than I realized

Valentine's Day came more quick than I realized. The Hogwarts halls that we're once lively turned into a lousy atmosphere, since they were filled with students seeking to trick one another into drinking Amortentia and other love potions from Zonko's. Luke claimed that he had seen at least two bewitched garden gnomes, dug up from Hagrid's garden and floating about and were dressed up as like cupids. But he only got harsh comments from the other Gryffindor girls saying that he was clearly making up his claim.

Monica had really kept her promise that she would keep my secret between the two of us. And so, far, nobody else had learned about it. She and Luke had started dating since last week, and I was happy for my two best friends. And in fact, they started dating on the same night Remus and I became official.

Remus had told me that he had a planned surprise for me. It was going to be the first Valentine's I'll be spending with the man I loved. So, I was pretty hyped.

So far, the only details that he gave me about it was I was to be expected in his office at 7:00 in the evening on Valentine's.

I woke up on February 14, the sun had began to shine down upon the beautiful Hogwarts grounds and there was no more sign of snow anywhere.

I quickly got dressed, and once I was done, I met Monica downstairs.

"Good morning, beauty!" she laughed, as I exited the portrait.

"Have any plans with Luke this Valentine's?" I asked her, giggling as we made our way to the Great Hall.

"Oh, we're heading to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop in Hogsmeade later,"'she said, grinning brightly. "And you? With Remus? You two going on a date?"

I smiled. "Dunno, he said he had a surprise for me. Only he wouldn't say it."

When we reached the Great Hall, it looked like it wasn't Valentine's Day at all, but still the spirit of the holiday was still present and felt by everyone. I suddenly remembered last year's Valentine's, when Lockhart was our DADA teacher he decided to compose a 'morale-booster' event to cheer all of us up.

But his so-called 'morale-booster' was very annoying, the Great Hall was embellished with enormous, lurid pink flowers. There was heart-shaped confetti falling from the pale blue ceiling, and Lockhart was wearing lurid pink robes to match the decorations.
He even chartered a dozen dwarves wearing golden wings and carrying harps to make them look like cupids.

And all day long, the dwarves interrupted our classes to send Valentine's cards which became a nuisance not only to us but the teachers as well.

Valentine's Day of '93 was undoubtedly the worst I've ever spent in my whole life.

"Seriously, Oliver, today's Valentine's Day!" I heard Luke who seemed to be having an intense conversation with Ollie as the other students just stared at him weirdly.