98| You Promised

It was as though time had frozen

I felt paralyzed.
Unable to move.
Unable to scream.
Unable to breath.

In a flash of green light, Sirius' body was thrown across the room, hitting his head very hard om the marble floor and lay there, not a single sign of movement.

"NO! SIRIUS!" I heard Harry yell, running towards his motionless body. My body was frozen in shock, not able to react quickly than I wanted to. I slowly walked towards them, the pain in my chest was stinging me.

"S-Sirius? Please, please don't..." Harry shook him furiously, his breath becoming ragged and I immediately collapsed on my knees next to him once I got there, tears threatening to spill. I crawled towards him, holding his stiff hand tightly.

"Harry, stop..." Remus ran forward, holding him back as he cried. "It's no use."

I heard Bellatrix cackling softly to herself, anger rushing through my whole body like wildfire, Harry reacted and jerked away from Remus's grasps and ran out of after her, wand in his hand.

I was now crying, as much as I wanted to chase after the maniac as well, I couldn't. I felt as though my soul had been crushed, torn into pieces. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't. I felt like I was already dead.

Death was peaceful. Easy. Life was harder.

It would've been easier than the pain I was feeling right now, I felt like I was being burnt alive at the stake.

I thought I wouldn't lose anyone that I held so much dear during this nightmarish war.

Destiny proved me wrong.

Sirius.

My eldest brother.

My only living brother.

The one who kept me sane and going aside from my husband.

Was gone.

I felt like a part of me had no reason to live anymore.

My eyes were only fixed on his pale and motionless body whilst every one of my bones was trembling and felt like they were about to get crushed. I faintly saw Remus' knees give in as well.

"Sirius..." I whispered, my hand reaching up to his chest. I felt nothing. His heartbeat. Nothing.

"Darling... I-I'm so sorry..." Remus mumbled, the tears rolling down his face as he held me in his arms the same way he held Harry.

"He's not gone....he's not gone...this isn't happening..." I shook my head furiously, my throat burning before finally letting out a piercing, anguished cry.

Looking down upon him, all the memories I had of him flashed before my eyes; from the times when I was curiously looking up at his burnt face in the tapestry as a child, the moment when we first met during that Halloween night at Hogwarts and when he walked me down the aisle on my wedding day.