128| Fire & Blood

"All right, leaders up here and we'll divide up the troops!" ordered Kingsley, grabbing our attention

"Remus, let's go," Arthur said, patting Remus' shoulder to signal the cue. He nodded his head with a small, shaky breath.

But before he could leave with Arthur and Kingsley, my hand quickly grabbed his hand to stop him. He turned his head at me in confusion, and I gave him a pleading look.

"Remus-"

"Please, love -"

"I haven't finished -"

"I have to go."

"I'm not letting you go somewhere your life is at risk!" my voice suddenly rose from the top of my lungs, full of despair.

"Damn it, Selene, I'll be fine!" he said sternly. "Stay here and help the others-"

"I'M NOT LEAVING YOU! WHERE YOU GO, I GO –"

He cut me off when he wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace, holding me tighter than ever had before, with a need like no other.

"I'll be fine, I promise," he assured me, stroking my hair. "I'll find you once this is all over, be there for me, OK?"

I nodded my head painfully as he cupped my cheeks and kissed my trembling lips deeply, and I felt his own shaking too.

"Remus! Take your position!" Kingsley called and we pulled away, much to our mutual dismay.

"Don't you dare leave me, don't you dare leave our daughter in a world where she's without her Daddy..." I implored, my watery eyes pleading into his, and tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

"I love you so much."

"Say that to me in the morning, when we're back home, with Hope."

He smiled forcefully through his tears, his eyes flickered shut, and nodded slowly.

His grip on my face loosened, and I let out a small huff when I felt the warmth of his hands no more, and I turned around to see him leaving with Kingsley and Arthur.

He looked back one last time, allowing me to meet the pair of green, shining eyes that my whole life depended on.

And then, he was gone.

I overheard the faint, emotional goodbyes of Sirius and Ana before they parted ways as well.

I left the castle and raced outside. A mass of students was running in my opposite direction as I exited through the entrance hall, standing underneath the night sky of the Hogwarts grounds.