34 | Paralyzed

So I did what my heart wanted. I leapt into his arms and broke down. He wrapped his arms around my back and placed his head on top of mine. I ignored the pain shooting from my ribs, but Chris seemed to notice it and pulled away. He placed his hand on my cheek and I leaned into his touch.

How I had missed him.

He stroked his thumb over my cheekbone, it had swollen a bit and it hurt when he touched it. I closed my eyes in pain. "I've missed you," I mumbled into his hand, trying to mask the pain I was feeling. Chris narrowed his eyes looking at me.

"Show me." His voice was stern. I closed my eyes again hoping he would let it go. He didn't. "Show me Princess." I sighed and sat down at my desk and pulled out my makeup remover from one of my drawers. Removing my makeup Chris gasped. He crouched down beside my chair and turned my chair to face him.

"I'm so sorry, Chris," I looked into his eyes. "I'm so sorry I just left. But I had to. I had to s-"

He cut me off. "I don't care why you left, okay? I love you, and that will never change. You can leave, but I need you to talk to me about it. Leaving without telling me, and just giving me a letter, is not okay."

That was a dick move of me, I will admit that.

I started to ramble about how sorry I was for just leaving. He stopped my rant of words. "Where else?" I raised my eyebrows. "What?" Chris started to pull my shirt up but I stopped him, he couldn't see those bruises. It would have hurted him more than me leaving. "Where else are you hurt? Where else has he hit you?"

How did he know?

"I know you Line," Chris looked at me with soft eyes like he could read my mind. "I know your movements. This whole time you have been on edge, your movements have been restricted. You are not leaning back into your chair, like you do when you sit. Can you please show me, sweetheart?"

I pulled my shirt up, just enough to show him the bruise to my side. It had started to get yellow and looked horrible. It was an old one. "Show me the rest." I kept on pulling my shirt up until my ribs showed. Chris placed a finger on my ribs, his touch was gentle but I winced in pain. "I'm so sorry."

He pulled my shirt back down and started to rub my thighs. We locked eyes and we sat in silence. It was good having him near me again. He pulled me carefully down for a kiss. I melted into the kiss. I had missed his lips against mine. Everything around us faded, and I forgot that we were still in my office.

Kissing Chris had the butterflies coming back into my stomach. He kissed me softly, not wanting to hurt me further. "This is so inappropriate." I put some distance between us smiling. "I can't kiss you when I'm at work."

He leaned in again and kissed me. I smiled against his lips. "But, I'm not at work, and you are not kissing me, I'm kissing you." I giggled. "So technically you aren't breaking any rules. I'm going to keep kissing you, to make up for the four months we were apart."

He moved his mouth to my jaw, I had to push him away. "As much as I like you kissing me, I am swamped in work. You know how much work has piled up while I have been gone?" I pushed myself back into my desk picking up where I left off. Chris came up behind me and moved my hair to the side and started to kiss my neck. "Sure you had someone stepping in for you while you were gone?" He kept on kissing me and I closed my eyes.

"I did. But to be honest, he was awful at this job, I have to redo everything he did. That's a lot of work. And you are distracting me when you are kissing me on my sweet spot." I pushed him off me smiling and pushed him down in the other chair in my office. I handed him a pen and a piece of paper. "You can sit there and draw something. If you want colours that's too bad, I don't have any, so you will have to go with the blue pen."

We sat in silence and I could finally get some work done. I could sense that he looked at me with minutes apart each time, before he looked down on his paper again.

*

"I knew you were a liar!" My father came bursting in the door to my office and I jolted out of my chair and took a step backwards trying to get away from him. He came towards me and I tried to cover my head with my hands and closed my eyes. The hit never came. I moved my hands from my face and opened my eyes. Chris had stopped the hit from my father, resulting in him getting hit instead of me.

"You went to the fucking police, Caroline?" My father shouted at me and I could feel a panic attack coming. "And now you have your little lover boy protecting you? How cute isn't that?" I sank down to the floor, I never went to the police because I wanted to. But he would never understand that. "You are lucky that I didn't go to prison again. I got them to leave. I told them that I have never hit or hurt you."

I tried to keep his voice out of my head. I couldn't let his words get to me again. Because it was just that - words. I could hear Chris' voice in my head telling me that I was more than just my father's words.

"Promise that you remember that you are more than what your father has ever said to you." Chris' soft voice spoke to me. "You are so much more, Line."

"But who are we kidding?" My father kept going with his words. "Of course they would believe me and not you. I just had to act all concerned about you, and they told me that they were sorry for the misunderstanding. It is so easy to foul them. But now they are gone and you are coming home with me."

"No!" I cried. "I can't just leave work. I'm the only pharmacist at work today, and we can't have open if we don't have at least one pharmacist. I can call Mads so he can come into work tomorrow. But I need to be here today."

My father tried to take a step towards me, but Chris stopped him easily by placing a hand in front of him. "You useless child. I should have let you die that time, but no, I had to take you to the hospital, your mother would probably kick me out of my own house if I didn't." I closed my eyes, just listening to his words. I was never going to get out of this alive.

"Should I tell Chris about your little secret?" My father laughed and turned his head towards Chris. "Did you know that your sweet little girl killed her own baby brother? Before he even was born? She made her mother miscarriage. She killed my little son. She killed her baby brother, Chris. Did you know that?" I placed my hands over my ears before I went into a paralyzed state. His words had hit a spot inside me.

Outside my office door the police were ready to burst through the door. Chris tried desperately to keep my father away from me. I just laid there on my side looking empty in front of me. Chris was going to have a hard time to pull me out of this state.