Empty Threats (II)

"Why are you the way you are?"

"I lost someone."
_________________

One of the guards all but shoved me back into the room, all while the other gave him a pointed look, his expression turning almost apologetic as his gaze shifted to me. Victoria stood from where she'd sat, her eyes bright, her expression alert.

"Apologies, Princess," one of the Fae said, and I turned to glance at him suspiciously. There was nothing mocking in the title, it was genuine.

I raised my chin. "You help Gabriel hold me hostage but feel bad when your comrade manhandles me?" I questioned incredulously, lifting my chained hands in emphasis. "Pick a side," I bit out, my eyes still glowing after my encounter with Gabriel. The fae warrior shifted uncomfortably.

The second guard watched me silently, both of them unsure what to say. After a moment, he turned away and his friend followed.

Victoria gave me a questioning look and I frowned. Were they unsure of what they were doing? Perhaps their loyalty to Gabriel wasn't as unwavering as I thought. Maybe actually seeing me and hearing Livius' threats over the phone was unnerving. Clearly things were getting real.

If there was a chance that even one of them would turn on him...

I turned the thought over in my head. That could change everything.

I suppose I'll just have to press a few buttons. Test their loyalties. I was still their Princess after all, even after being away for more than a decade. This was treachery. They probably saw whatever dark future awaited them every time they looked at me. Unless of course they chose a different path.

I hadn't accounted for Gabriel's minions questioning him. But it made sense. He was respected, not worshiped. And even they knew when he was making awful choices without the approval of their King.

Gabriel was living in his own fantasyland, but his goons were not. The Fae General saw a world where he was crowned and the werewolves were under his thumb. But his men were at least smart enough to know the chances of that happening were possible, but the odds were still against them. And nothing Gabriel promised was worth gambling their lives and betraying their kin.

Perhaps they were also waking up to Gabriels new intentions. Goddess, this was-

"What did he want?" Victoria questioned, cutting off my train of thought as I turned back to her.

"To dangle me in Livius' face and remind him not to destroy the fae or else he'd kill me," I summarized. Her expression morphed into one of shock. "Or cut off my fingers to be specific," I added when she didn't say anything and her brows creased with disgust.

Then slowly her gaze fell to my neck, her face dimming. "He cut you," she said quietly.

"It'll heal," I responded passively as I distractedly crossed the room.

"It's bleeding," she continued, a note of concern in her voice.

"It's nothing, Victoria." When she didn't respond, I turned to look at her over my shoulder, noting the look on her face. "You're starting to sound like Livius. Please go back to hating me."

Her eyes narrowed at that and she outright scowled at me. "Fuck you."

I laughed half-heartedly, my hands brushing against the far wall. The room we were locked in wasn't massive, but it was big enough. It had no windows, only that single, locked door. From what I knew, magic seals had to be written within the area they're casted on. If I wanted to find the one barring me from using my magic, I'd have to find where it was hidden.