Faerie Hunting (II)

"She lost herself in the trees among the ever changing leaves.

She wept beneath the wild sky as stars told stories of ancient times.

The flowers grew towards her light, the river called her name at night.

She could not live an ordinary life

with the mysteries of the universe hidden within her eyes."
_______________________

I've been wandering Livius' woods for the lesser part of an hour.

At first, I had kept my guard up, every movement calculated, every step measured, but the longer I took to get deeper into the forest, the more likely someone was to realize I was gone. Besides, if Gabriel didn't come find me from the very beginning, then who's to say he just doesn't care about me at all?

Perhaps he's more preoccupied with escaping Livius' grasp. His inevitable capture was probably finally dawning on him.

But wouldn't that just provide more incentive to come after me?

With a shrug, I braced a hand against my forehead and felt the growing heat that ran up and down my body. Being in this form was taking its toll, and if the bastard was too scared to come out and play, then I might as well just head back for now.

I wanted to get our encounter over with, to stop him now before he tried anything else, but faerie hunting wasn't really my strong suit.

Maybe I could search the library for another tracking spell...

Once that thought settled, I turned back towards the palace with a sigh. "Tomorrow, Gabriel. Tomorrow."

"Oh? You've been looking for me? I'm flattered."

My body went rigid, my hands immediately closing around one of the knives at my waist as that voice filled the space behind me.

I could feel them. All four vampires who had been there that night. And the Fae bastard who had ordered to have me killed.

"Though, I'm not in the habit of having reunions with people who shouldn't be alive," Gabriel continued while I glanced over my shoulder, the pale strands of my hair flying in my periphery in a blur of silver. "Perhaps you're doing me a favor, Princess. That mate of yours is relentless."

He really wanted to use me as his way out, huh?

I fully turned to him, taking in the four, red-eyed figures who stood around him. My gaze narrowed on Demetrius, the vampire who had drank from me.

He tilted his head, those lips curling into a smile. "I'm a bit grateful, Gabriel. I don't think I could've gone another day without a taste of her blood."

I gave him a feral smile and extended my wrist in a welcoming gesture. "Well, come on then," I finally said, not even acknowledging the fae amongst them.

Not to my surprise, Demetrius' eyes glinted. He was craving blood. All four of them were. I knew that Livius had been pressing them into a corner, and it was much worse for them than it was for Gabriel.

They were out of control.

"Demetrius, stay-"

Gabriel's shouted warning was cut off when said vampire lunged at me, his fangs already glinting beneath the afternoon sun as the last bit of his control snapped.

I dodged the second he got close, my fist meeting the taut skin of his abdomen in a well deserved hit. "I do have a question," I added thoughtfully.