Dinner

"The universe showered her with its praise and exalted her presence,

for in her blood ran the rage of humanity itself,

in her blood flowed a power so legendary it was matched only by the gods."
_______________________

The grand hall was extraordinary to say the least. Large golden chandeliers lit up the entire area, giving it an almost ethereal glow as they reflected the marble floor. A luxurious set of floor to ceiling windows portrayed the falling snow outside, adding to the magical feel of the room. Long polished tables ran along the length of the vast hall, accompanied with elegant cushioned chairs filled with wolves who were talking and laughing amongst themselves. The fresh aroma of warm food wafted through the air, and I inhaled deeply, enjoying the vibe; however I was suddenly reminded why Livius hated arriving late.

A part of me was already beginning to dread coming down alone.

I watched as they all paused, the loud boisterous hall from before now pin drop silent, and I spotted Livius sitting at the head of the largest table in the middle of the room, most of the important members of the pack sitting around him.

He was so far away.

His pale blue eyes were wide with shock as he caught sight of me at the entrance, mouth slightly open as he slowly set down the fork he held.

Allowing my gaze to slide over the hall, I glanced over the many pack members.

Subtly inhaling a breath, I met their curious gazes head on and raised my chin in an attempt to make myself look as though I knew what the fuck I was doing.

My eyes widened, however, when one wolf got up, all the others following soon after, and in seconds everyone in the large room was on their feet, their heads bowed in respect as I flushed at their actions.

Shoving away the strange feeling that welled up in my chest, I quickly strode over towards their King, my heart beating erratically in my chest as my heels clicked against the gleaming floor with each hesitant step I took.

Snapping out of his reverie, Livius instinctively stood up, having been the only person still sitting.

He shocked me as he gently took my hand, placing the most tender of kisses on the back of it, before shooting me an amused smirk when he took in my flushed face, and the nervous arch of my brows.

Finally deciding to put me out of my misery, he pulled out the empty chair to his left for me, and murmuring a quiet 'thank you,' I hurriedly settled down as his eyes flashed with an unreadable emotion.

Livius stepped away from me, his warmth disappearing as he also sat down, and almost immediately everyone else did too.

Elle playfully raised her brows at me, her blonde hair pulled up into an elegant bun as the few loose strands framed her heart shaped face. Her mate, Jayden, simply grinned in my direction, whilst the two of them took their seats, the conversations restarting.

No one, for even a second, acting as though my being down here was out of the norm.

I smiled as Livius grabbed my hand, an untouchable happiness dancing in his eyes that made my heart swell with passion, "What are you doing here, love?" he murmured in questioning, voice barely audible over the continued conversations.

My smile grew as I met his gaze, my mind overtaken by an overwhelming sense of joy, "It got boring upstairs," I replied dishonestly, before nonchalantly waving my left hand, the other still caught in his grip.