First Blood

"Am I supposed to be grateful

to have survived this?"
____________________

Alexandria's pov:

This godforsaken building was a maze. The only thing keeping me from kicking through a wall and hoping it somehow led to the entrance was the overpowering scent of wolves that led down the halls.

"Luna," Sebastian spoke from a step behind me. I barely paused as the scent grew stronger. We were close enough to pick out the unique notes that lied beneath. A familiar whiff of lilac hit my nose, and right along with it came the scent of home. Not France, not Livius' castle.

Alexius.

I barely had a moment to dwell on the thought of seeing him. Instead, Sebastian's surprisingly harsh grip dragged me out of my thoughts. "Oh for fucks sake, are you listening?"

My head turned, my eyes snapping up to meet his gaze but before I could utter a word in response another voice cut in.

"Alexandria?"

Livius' voice flooded my mind, his presence undeniable. I stiffened and completely stopped in my tracks.

Sebastian seemed to note the way my eyes glazed over, a distant look washing over my face. His hand slightly loosened around my wrist.

I reached through the link Livius had opened, clutching it as my heart seemed to both sink and skip a beat at the sound of his voice. Whatever thoughts I had before tumbled to the back of my mind.

"Livius?"

I practically felt his relief at my response. Noah made a silent attempt to take advantage of my momentary pause to herd me back in the opposite direction, but I stood my ground, not retreating an inch. Instead, I turned back towards the noise, the scratch of claws and clatter of weapons.

"Could I please ask that you listen to me just this once and go back with Sebastian?"

This time my pace didn't slow, even as Livius spoke. It could never be said that I had a shortage of overprotective males in my life. The clamor grew louder, the scents now overtaking my senses as familiar growls reached my ears.

I rounded a corner and was met with a staircase that overlooked the entrance. Below, a mix of both fae and werewolf warriors were locked in battle. It was a blur of flashing teeth and burning silver.

I stopped dead in my tracks, my attention landing on my mate. Livius' eyes met my own, a warning hiding within them, one that said go the other way, then his brow creased with an added please.

Where the hell was Gabriel? I refused to believe he'd fled so soon. Or given up so quickly. It was clear that winning was impossible, but that slimy bastard was the last person to go down without setting everything on fire right along with him.

I shifted my gaze to the Fae at Livius' back, pale silver hair, golden eyes that matched my own, and a sun-kissed tan that we'd both inherited from our father. My heart stuttered and practically came to a stop.

Alexius.

He didn't notice me. The wolves had by my scent, and Livius barely reacted to my presence so as not to alert Gabriel's warriors. My hands fell limp at my sides.

He was right there. He wasn't dead.

That all too familiar image of his body bleeding out appeared in my mind's eye. A thousand memories crowded forward as my throat constricted, but I shoved the feeling away. This was not the time. Livius' blade glinted against the light, the silver stained crimson.