Loyalty (I)

"He saved me.

Again.

And again.

And again."
________________

Victoria nudged me awake with her snout and I tiredly sat up, my strength still wearing thin. My sides ached from the beating I'd taken, and I knew if I lifted my shirt I'd find circles of purple bruises. We'd both managed to squeeze in some sleep earlier, before they'd shoved these manacles onto my wrists. I must've still dozed off as she began working.

I lifted my hands to rub at my eyes as Victoria trotted over to a random corner and pawed at the ground, a huff escaping her. My brows dipped in confusion and the chains brushed against my cheeks in a painful shock.

She circled the area and pawed at it again and for a moment, I thought she was insane, until I remembered what I'd requested of her.

Find where Gabriel's scent is strongest.

With a very human eye roll, she moved to grab one of the untouched bowls of food they'd given us and dragged it over to the spot to mark it. She hovered near the spot as I gained awareness and slowly staggered to my feet, stumbling a bit.

Victoria watched me struggle, then came over to me when I stumbled again. She lifted her head worriedly, her wolf form seeming to make her all the more fussy over her Luna.

"Hah, got you." I grinned, except I absolutely was not acting. Normally, my magic would help with keeping the silver at bay, but without it, I was just a regular wolf who would succumb to it eventually.

Victoria's familiar scowl returned, even in wolf form.

Carefully, I strode over to where she had stood and nudged the bowl away with my foot. "This is where it's strongest?" I asked and she lifted her head further as if to say reach a bit higher. I did just that and when my hands brushed a certain point she nodded.

"This whole area?" I questioned. Another nod.

If she got me close enough to where he'd drawn it, then whatever magic circle I drew to unveil it would be good enough. It just had to be in the general vicinity. This should be more than good enough, so long as she was right.

I kneeled down next to her. If I could get my magic back, I had to do it now, before this silver got to its worst. The last thing I needed was to be in and out of consciousness while Gabriel was prowling around. And if Livius had taken my tip... his search might have gotten much closer. When the time came, I couldn't be weak and useless.

An ember of hope flared in my chest. I stared down at Victoria's wolf form.

"Bite me," I ordered, extending my wrist in her direction. She gave me an incredulous look and took a careful step back. I sighed.

"You have to, Victoria," I murmured. "I need it to draw the circle. Normally, I could activate it with my magic alone, but it's sealed. Magic runs in my blood, this is the only way it can work."

She still looked a little disbelieving, her ears drooping in obvious disapproval.

"Come on," I pushed her. "Summon all that bloodlust from when you hated me."

That made her all out glare, then without a second thought she clamped down on my wrist, her fangs sinking deep.

Well... that took less convincing than I thought.

Maybe I should be concerned.

But I suppose every Luna needs someone to growl at her.

"I didn't say kill me," I told her although I'd barely winced, even as she pulled back and wretched, her paws scraping at the blood on her snout.