Ephemeral Nights (II)

There is always a divide within my own soul.

A rift. An abyss. A choice.

Give into the evil that rages within you,

Or fall,
And lose yourself in your reckless pursuit of good.
________________________

I feigned left, my arm swinging as I countered Damien's attempt. A moment later, my fist met his abdomen and he was stumbling backwards.

I sighed.

To think that just thirty minutes ago I was up in the mountain watching the sunset with my mate.

At my great displeasure, Livius was called into a late meeting with a few members of his council, and we were forced to return.

It only made sense. With the hunt for Gabriel, and our still mourning pack. It was only a matter of time before we were pulled back.

But still... a selfish part of me had wished to stay up there, in his arms, for a little while longer. As though I'd never get the chance to do so again.

There was something so serene, so effervescent, so new, about that sunset. Like it had been the first time I'd ever seen the sun disappear beyond the horizon. Or the last.

Perhaps it was his warmth surrounding me, or the tingles of his breath at my nape, or his gentle words in my ear. I hadn't wanted to leave. And I had told him as much.

In response to my frown, I received an easy smile, a light pinch to my cheek, and a promise that he wouldn't pull an all nighter tonight. He'd make it to bed.

That final oath was what had made me pull away in resignation. He needed some sleep anyway, and I missed sleeping beside him, with his arms curled around my waist and my head buried in his warm chest.

We both needed that solace.

My skin warmed at the thought, and I yearned to simply head to bed right now. To pull him out of his meeting, ditch training, and just forget about everything.

With another sigh, I extended a hand to my student (?), and he hesitantly took it, his fingers warm. When Damien finally stood, he didn't instantly let it go, his hand lingering as I arched a brow.

I wasn't holding back today, and it was unfair to him, but I couldn't help it. I had too much stored energy. Besides, nothing would change if I didn't push him. "I don't understand," I told him, crossing my arms. "You're not some bulky warrior with a heavy gait, or some inexperienced pup. Yet you're still too slow to dodge, how?"

"You're too damn fast," he grumbled, clearly frustrated. "I don't think anyone I'm up against will be anything like you."

I rolled my eyes before glancing across the indoor training chambers, a place I didn't know existed until recently.

Knives, swords, guns, and any weapon that could come to mind lined the wall to my far right, and I left Damien to grab a few daggers from the massive assortment.

Carefully, I strapped them onto the belt at my waist, my eyes swinging over to my trainee as I grabbed another two for him. I put them back after a second thought.

Dodging practice today. Goddess knows he needs it.

He threw his head back as though this was the last thing he wanted to be doing and I grinned while approaching him once again.

Shouldn't have asked me to train you then.

I didn't miss the few lingering gazes I received from the few other pack members training within the massive hall. Victoria was here too, her eyes the color of a calm sea as she gave me an acknowledging nod.