Foreign Lands

"And like the moon, she had a side of her so dark,

that even the stars couldn't shine on it;

She had a side of her so cold,

that even the sun couldn't burn it."
______________________

Before I knew it, the plane had landed, I was grabbing my duffel, hugging Adrienne and her fellow flight attendants goodbye, and climbing into a sleek black car that pulled up in front of the jet.

Without exchanging a single word with him.

I had ignored Livius' outstretched hand as I stepped out of the plane, and refused to make contact with his piercing eyes. He seemed to be appalled by my behavior, but I couldn't care less.

He didn't deserve my respect.

"Love, are you ignoring me?" he inquired as the car pulled onto the highway, his tone amused.

Turning away, I looked out the window, deciding to take interest in the stunning scenery that passed by.

"Do I need to remind you whom you're with again?" I heard him add, and when I turned to look at him, his pale blue eyes seemed to be glowing.

"What do you want me to say?" I spoke up, anger barely contained, but I held it back from seeping into my voice.

Looking past me, and out the window, he instead asked, "Do you know where we are?"

"Yes," I scowled, narrowing my eyes as he smirked.

I didn't know how I'd forgotten. Perhaps a part of me didn't truly believe that he was actually the Alpha King. That this man who sat beside me was the object of so much respect and reverence. When you hear so many stories of someone's prestige, and then actually meet them, all the information you may have known goes out the window.

Well now I remembered.

The unapproachable territory. Owned by the male who was believed to be the most powerful werewolf alive. Only those with a death wish stepped on his land without consent. Where this land was? Where he lived?

Why, France, of course.

"Have you ever been?"

"No."

"Have you wanted to visit?"

"No."

"A pity," he murmured, eyes never leaving my own.

Okay, that was a lie. But I wasn't going to give him that satisfaction.

Montego Bay, Paris, and Berlin were my dream destinations.

"You know," he spoke up again after a few moments, "my pack will want to meet you."

"A pity," I retorted, mimicking his earlier response, and I could see him frown through my peripheral vision.

"You're so hard-headed," he sighed, shaking his head.

We fell silent for a few minutes before I finally decided to ask him the question that has been plaguing my thoughts since our meeting.

Turning to him, I asked, "why did you accept me, King Livius?"

"Don't call me that," he muttered, frowning again.

I cocked my head, "Why? Didn't you make it clear on the plane that my place is beneath you? That my submission is necessary, regardless of the fact that I'm your mate?" I bit out.