Dead of Night (I)

"Do you remember who you were,
before the world told you who you should be?

Do you remember your radiance?
Your ethereal smile?

Do you remember that unparalleled exuberance that was taken from you?

Do you remember how you held the sun and moon in your hands, and the universe in your mind?

Don't you remember, Hayati?

Don't you remember what you were before the world moulded you into what it fancied?"
______________________

"You useless fucker," I muttered under my breath as Damien put down a draw two, the action bringing my deck of cards to a whopping thirteen.

I suck at this, I know.

"Useless fu...cker?" Bella slowly repeated after me, and my eyes widened at her curious gaze.

"Don't say that."

"What does it mean?" she questioned, a frown tugging on her lips.

Damien snorted. "Ask your father."

"No!" I practically screeched, quickly shaking my head. "Don't... just don't ask him that, for my sake. I'm begging you."

I sighed in relief when she quietly nodded her head in my direction. However, I knew I was screwed a few minutes later when Damien put down a draw four.

"You..." she trailed off angrily, her stormy grey eyes widening at what this meant for her.

"Useless fucker!"

I'm going to die.

No, I'm actually going to die.

Levon is going to kill me.

Yea, now seems like the right time to make up with Livius. I might just need his protection.

"Bella, sweetheart," I began, reaching forward to grab her hand. "My life matters to you,  doesn't it?"

She immediately nodded her head, her blonde locks swaying at the movement.

"And you love me, right?"

"Of course I do, Luna."

I cleared my throat, whilst quickly shooting Damien a look that said "wipe that smirk off your face before I come do it for you."

"Then please, angel," I pleaded, my eyes briefly closing. "Never repeat that word again."

She cocked her head, her brows dipping in genuine confusion, her face the epitome of innocence. "Which one? Useless or fucker?"

My life is over.

Damien let out a loud laugh when I fell backwards, my arm covering my eyes while I prayed that the ground would just open up and swallow me.

"By the way." The wolf smiled, before sticking out his tongue in our direction. "I win."

"No!" Bella whined, her lips pulling into a pout, as she tugged at the edge of my hoodie. "Let's play again, Luna."

I tiredly sat up and slowly ran a hand through my hair in defeat. Damien, on the other hand, excitedly gathered the cards in his hands, quickly shuffling them and giving us each seven for our next round.

"He's already won three times, Bella. Are you sure you want to play again?" I asked her.

She huffed, quickly gathering her cards in her tiny little hands and observing what was given to her. "Father told me to never give up."