Euphoric Illusions

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms,

Barefoot on the grass, while listening to our favorite song,

I have faith in what I see,

Now I know I have met an angel in person,
and he looks perfect,

No I don't deserve this,
You look perfect tonight.
_________________________

"Okay, okay," I giggled, my lips pulling up into an unfaltering smile, "favorite food?"

"Why are we doing this again?" Livius asked incredulously, his arms clasped behind his head as he leaned on the ground in front of me.

"Because, I want to know more about you," I replied, taking a bite of the strawberry in my hand.

After settling down on a red checkered mat several meters away from the water, Livius took it upon himself to ensure that I ate nearly everything Elijah had so willingly packed into that large basket. Once satisfied, he finally relaxed, shrugged off his suit jacket, pulled back the cuffs of his dress shirt to his elbows, revealing his toned forearms, and laid down, his eyes slipping closed before I began pestering him with my questions.

Tucking my legs underneath me, I stared down at him, patiently waiting for his response. A few moments later he cracked one eye open to glance up at me, "I don't have one."

"Favorite fruit?" I asked instead, "and don't you dare say you don't have one."

"You want me to make one up if I don't?"

I simply scowled at him, causing him to chuckle, the sound deep and musical, "Mangoes."

He arched a curious brow, "You?"

I blinked down at him, surprised by his questioning, "Pineapples."

"Don't they make your tongue hurt?" he asked, his features scrunching up in remembrance.

I raised a finger, "Only if you eat too many."

Taking in my words, he rolled his eyes, and looked away, "Only you would fall in love with a fruit that burns your tongue."

"Don't judge me!" I huffed, lightly slapping his chest.

He stared up at me, eyes sparkling at the prospect of getting under my skin again, "I mean rationally thinking, Alexandria, how can you love something you can't have too much of?"

My gaze softened, and I decided to throw a jab at him for always being busy with work.

I cleared my throat, and looked away,"It's kind of like how I care for you, even though we don't get to spend much time together," I murmured, my voice gentle.

Livius slowly sat up, his head now resting on his arm as he still stared up at me, a strange undefinable shimmer in his eyes, "Never once did I think I'd get to see this side of you."

Before I could respond, he spoke again, "I'll answer whatever questions you ask, but I might flip them on you."

My face broke out into a smile, "Favorite color?"

"Gold," he responded, leaning back down, his blue eyes reflecting the sky that looked back down at us, "yours?"

I thought about it for a moment, a part of me genuinely not knowing, but Livius' voice stopped me from speaking up.

"And don't you dare say you don't have one," he mimicked in a squeaky voice, causing me to scowl at his handsome face.

"I'm really starting to rethink that silver blade threat I jokingly made earlier," I said, glaring down at him, and his lips quirked up.