Drawing Near (I)

"Don't get too close,

I'll turn you into poetry."
__________________

The closer we grew to their location, the more scouts we encountered.

The first of them were killed in their attempt to catch us unaware. But the next two we had been anticipating trouble. I had half expected Alexius to oppose our treatment of the traitors, as they were once under his charge, but he hadn't even batted an eye when my hand curled around one of their necks and tightened.

He only moved to stop me when he realized the man wouldn't be able to answer our questions if he was dead. I was surprised by the cold cut of his gaze, an expression I knew all too well from Alexandria.

A few moments later, Alexius had kneed the man in the gut and stood over him as if he had all the time in the world to torture him. His questions were clear, his voice calm, but the rage that stirred in his gaze could have toppled mountains.

The traitorous fae spat out answers as if his life depended on it.

Which it did, I suppose.

According to him, there were eighteen men aiding Gabriel. Fifteen, now that we had killed three of them. We had expected to outnumber them. Alexius had confessed that Gabriel hadn't taken many with him and a little less than two dozen fae had been unaccounted for when he'd ventured to see who'd betrayed him.

Still, our numbers wouldn't matter if Gabriel realized how close we were and escaped before we could surround him. And killing the men he had on look out didn't help. He'd be alerted when they didn't report back and his suspicions would only grow.

Just as my frustrations rose, we approached what appeared to be the edge of the forest. The trees opened up onto a thin strip of land, and further down, a building stood.

Beyond it, sand glittered and the ocean awaited. The strong scent of saltwater struck my nose and my eyes closed as the ocean breeze ran through my hair.

Alexandria was here.

She was inside that warehouse. There was no doubt about it.

I looked to Alexius. He gave me a bare nod, his golden eyes brimming with determination and something akin to worry.

Without hesitation, I lifted a hand to our men. "Fan out and stay within the treeline," I commanded, meeting their gazes. "Find an entry point."

They nodded, bowed, and immediately moved to follow the order, those in wolf form already running along the treeline in hopes of piecing together their path.

Alexius frowned beside me. "We can't storm the building."

I nodded my agreement. "There would be no point if he still has them near him. We'll just be forced to a standstill."

"So what now?"

I peered at him through the corner of my eye, my gaze narrowing. He wasn't the only one who didn't like answering to others. But he tolerated it. So I would have to as well.

"Now, we wait. We'll find a way in. And we'll catch Gabriel unaware. I would have preferred to wait for a more fool-proof plan and request Levon's counsel. But when those scouts don't return by midnight, Gabriel will likely grow restless." I turned to fully look at him, my arms crossed over my chest. "We don't have time to attempt anything else. I'd like to use his lack of suspicion to our advantage."

Alexius only nodded, his expression thoughtful. He was silent for a beat, then, "Do you think he's hurt her?"

My fists clenched at the thought. The mere idea made my very soul rage and hurt. The helplessness she likely felt, the sound of her voice over that phone call, her weakness, her vulnerability. I grit my teeth and bit out my next words. "I wouldn't be surprised. He's done it before."