Buried Enmity (I)

"The way he painted her heart with stardust,

while splashing rainbows onto the canvas of her soul,

made the pale moon jealous."
_________________________

"You know, I'm well aware that this isn't what you want," Livius murmured a few moments later, after we fell into another strange silence, both our minds wandering elsewhere.

My head snapped up, our eyes briefly meeting as his suddenly twinkled with mirth. "I like to think that I know you well enough to recognize when you have something else in mind."

"Oh?" I arched a curious brow, disbelief painted all over my face. "If you knew this then why bother with all those gifts?"

He shrugged in response. "You can never have too much, right?"

"Yes, you can."

He simply rolled his pale eyes in response, before retreating back behind his desk, and suddenly leaning down to retrieve something.

I, being the curious little fae that I am, immediately peered over to catch a glimpse of what he was doing.

My brows dipped in confusion when he pulled out a perfectly wrapped box, a perfectly tied ribbon centered at the top.

"This is what I really meant to give you."

I gave him an incredulous look. "So what's the ring? A three million dollar distraction?"

"Hmm, you could think of it as that, I suppose," he mused, finally meeting my gaze. "But then again, I've been meaning to get a ring on your finger, even if it's not the kind that I'd like."

I attempted to ignore that subtle hint he'd thrown in, my finger subconsciously playing with the diamond. But the simple allusion to an engagement ring was enough to make me shy away.

That wasn't happening anytime soon. Definitely not.

"And, besides, we all know you secretly love it," my mate added, eyes shimmering with amusement.

I shook my head, eyeing the new box he'd produced. "Livius, I'm serious. Please stop wasting money on me."

"I refuse."

"Go spoil Bella."

"She has Levon."

Before I could even think of another response, he spoke again. "Speaking of him, I think he's mad at you."

"What?"

"I don't know, it was something about Bella calling him a 'useless fucker' or something when he woke her up for school this morning," he continued, and my jaw dropped as I instinctively winced at the sharp insult.

My skin went pallid. "Oh no."

I could already imagine the extended hours of grueling training, the long spars, and even longer work outs.

Levon was going to kill me.

Livius let out a laugh when all the color fully drained from my face. "If you accept all my current and future gifts, I'll protect you from him."

I narrowed my eyes, slightly exasperated at the mere fact that I was actually contemplating his offer. "Will you really?" I asked, cocking my head.

I came to the conclusion that there was nothing I wouldn't give to get out of training for the next few weeks.

He nodded, before slightly gesturing at the box, silently urging me to tug it open, and I sighed. "What makes this one so special?"

"You'll see."