Fresh Marks

In you, I have finally found all I never dared dream I could deserve or have.

The kind of love that is rare.

Being known in a way that touches the deepest parts of me.

Accepted in a way that blows my mind.
_________________________

My neck burned with the heat of a thousand suns, the pain coming and going like the oceans waves. My entire body ached and tingled, and I felt utterly exhausted. But my soul... my soul felt oddly complete. As though a piece of me that I hadn't even known was missing had finally been restored.

And for the first time in weeks, Livius was laying beside me, his warm body curled around me as I leaned my head against his chest.

He was sleeping, his face so serene as he breathed through his nose. He looked so calm, so at ease. I smiled at the sight. He had the weight of an entire Kingdom bearing on his shoulders, but for once... he was able to close his eyes without worry.

Not to mention he was just as beautiful with his eyes shut as he was with them open. The sharp lines of his jaw and those cheekbones seemed to be accentuated by the morning light, and the silky strands of his black hair all but gleamed beneath its rays.

Carefully, I brought up a hand from beneath the covers to lightly trace the planes of his face, before stopping myself. He'd wake up. And if anyone needed rest right now, it was him.

So with a sigh, I slid closer to him, and settled for resting my head against his heart, my eyes closing with contentment at the gentle thuds beneath my ear. "I love you," I murmured, so quietly, though when his arms tightened around me, I knew that I'd been wrong to assume he was asleep as well.

"Y'know, love, you're adorable when you think I'm sleeping," he mused, his voice a deep rasp that made my entire body flush with a different kind of heat. "You should treat me the same way when I'm awake as well."

I rolled my eyes, my fingers trailing his chest. "Fuck you."

I could feel his smirk. "Oh, I-"

"Do not start with those jokes, Livius," I all but growled, cutting him off in his tracks and he let out a velvety chuckle.

And I couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips when he bent down to press a kiss into my hair. "I love you too," he responded to my earlier words.

I beamed at that, and those pale eyes softening before he pressed another kiss to my temple, his gaze dropping to my neck a moment later. Slowly, he brought up a hand to where my neck met my shoulder, his fingers pushing my silver hair out of the way.

And when his thumb grazed my fresh mark, I all but trembled beneath his grasp.

His eyes narrowed with pleasure. "Still so tender..." he mused, and my hand came up to cover his own.

"Don't... don't do that," I chastised, the sensations from his touch somewhat overwhelming.

"Oh?" His lips slanted into a sly grin, and I attempted to pull back when he dipped his head to my neck. "Would you prefer I did this?" He didn't hesitate a moment before pressing his lips to that single spot, his perfect mark that was only mine to bear.

And when his tongue darted out, I closed my eyes at the feeling that ran up and down my body.

"You're horrible," I muttered, and I could feel him smirk against my skin before pulling back.

"Don't worry. You'll get your shot at retribution. You always do," he retorted, and my own eyes zeroed in on the crescent shaped puncture on his own neck. Memories of last night flooding me as I recalled the way my canines sunk into his skin.