City of Lights (I)

Remember, remember.

This is now, and now, and now.

Live it, feel it, cling to it.

I want to become acutely aware of all I've taken for granted.
________________________

We finished tasting most of the crepes and left thirty minutes later. They were as delicious and light and perfect as I'd expected, and for a flicker of time I was content.

I'd left that dreamy little shop with two things: a favorite order, so I wouldn't have to request the entire goddamn menu when I came back, and a dozen photos of the cafe, all the sweet and savory crepes Livius had ordered, and an unforgettable group photo amongst the entire staff, and the owner of the place.

I smiled at their willingness to take the photo, another good memory stored in the crevices of my mind, waiting to be looked back upon and appreciated later on. The way I'd kneeled at the center of the entire group, a blinding smile on my face as we all huddled into the frame, Livius' melodic laughter replaying in my ears when I had nearly fallen.

Definitely a good memory. And every time I looked at that picture, I'd remember it.

Stepping out of the car, my eyes slightly widened at the massive building before me. We'd drove out of Paris to another city and finally arrived before the proud skyscraper belonging to Artemis Enterprises.

Livius stepped out beside me, eyes still churning as he glanced at the building as well, he'd only gotten even more upset throughout the car ride. I had to hold back the urge to gently touch his arm, to keep him grounded when he growled, "this better be important."

I rolled my eyes at his anger. "Livius, it's alright. This won't take long."

He said nothing, instead gently grabbing my hand in his own as he went through those doors.

We were only on speaking terms. I was still upset with him. But the rest of the world didn't know that. And I'd be damned if there was some scandal dancing around the werewolf kingdom about how the future queen was ignoring the King. I suppose he was playing it safe.

The doors were pulled open for us by one of the men stationed there, and I'd barely managed to get out my 'thank you' before Livius tugged me through the grand entrance. I didn't even have time to admire the glorious interior before he pulled us into a private elevator and punched in the numbers of the highest floor.

I met his gaze, then looked away again. "I'm scared for everyone in that meeting."

He said nothing, instead moving to stride out as the elevator reached level fifty five, the number making me stumble, and though a bitter part of me still loathed him, I was grateful for his hand in mine, because this height....

I swallowed.

Wings.

Fuck, I wish I had my wings.

The top floor was beautiful and elegantly furnished, the modern design adding to its allure. The space reserved for important meeting rooms and the office of my mate, the Chief Executive.

Livius lead us down a hall, and veered to the right before reaching a set of double doors, throwing them open to what was most certainly his office.

Large floor to ceiling windows overlooked the city below, and a large desk sat in the center. There was a couch and a sitting area, along with two chairs sitting before his desk, the sleek black leather shimmering beneath the morning sun.