A Fae's Epiphany (I)

"I know we were both just broken stars,

But you took my heart and pieced it back together,

With dreams, and hopes, and quiet whispers."

_____________________

Damien's POV:

Alexandria was gone?

I had just been training with her an hour ago...

My eyes drifted over the small clearing as we approached, the Queen's scent thickening just as Gabriel's hit my nose.

I had caught up with the Alpha and the others the minute I'd heard. The whole pack was in chaos once the news spread. It was just like the night we lost Alaric and Aria. No one knew what to do, or what would happen.

Normally, I'd be ordered into another search party, but I was her private guard, though she really didn't need one.

If there was someone she couldn't defeat, then I doubt anyone besides the Alpha would be of any use.

Still, my heart beat with regret. I shouldn't have let her dismiss me. I shouldn't have walked away.

I should've stayed at her side.

Alexandria was our Luna. Our Queen. If she died it would ache so terribly I didn't even want to imagine it. We had lost a Luna once, and that had been awful enough.

The King would be devastated. The pack would be devastated. I would be devastated.

My fists clenched at the thought. She didn't deserve to be taken so soon. No one did.

Beside me, Beta Jayden let out a frustrated growl. Levon prowled further ahead, Sebastian and Julian at his heels with a dozen other wolves in tow.

I inhaled a few more times and turned my gaze to the lake they all now stood in front of.

It was where her scent stopped.

My very soul filled with dread. There was such a quiet stillness running through the area, as though no one had even been here. Yet, the lake water rippled ever so slightly beneath the moon and they all eyed it warily.

Sebastian's face went deathly pale, his eyes brimming with horror as he glanced up at the Alpha. "They couldn't have... "

King Livius approached the water, his eyes searching for something, anything. But it was dark. Too dark.

Without a second thought, the Alpha was stripping off his suit and pulling the cuffs back to his forearms. His face was lined with dread, and my breath caught in my throat.

Did he think she was down there?

Julian and Sebastian watched the water with uncertainty, while the remainder of the warriors looked horrified at the mere thought.

But before the Alpha could dive, Levon turned to him, his eyes slightly widened. "It's warm."

He had stuck a curious hand into the lake and felt for something, and that was what he'd come up with.

But that was simply the answer King Livius needed. We were in the dead of winter. The water should've been frigid, the cold nearly freezing it. She was down there.

Alexandria...

The Alpha met the General's gaze before pushing past him and preparing to go down there regardless of what his uncle had said. This was her worst fear. Her nightmare. She never learned how to swim. Never learned anything to do with water.