Another Encounter

"And if you are to love,

Love as the moon does;

It does not steal the night - it only unveils the beauty of the dark."
________________________

"Why are we still here?" I asked Livius, cocking my head.

"I prefer getting all the hearings over with at once," he told me, "Zander isn't the only lawbreaker I have to deal with."

I nodded slowly, slumping in the chair.

"You know, you don't have to stay," he stated, and I quirked a brow.

"You can leave. My advisors only wanted you present for Zanders' hearing, as you are the witness. The remaining cases are of regular pack members who broke pack law, they aren't as important. Go rest, my queen," he continued, nodding towards the door and I hesitated for a moment before shaking my head.

"I can't leave you alone, you'll probably kill someone," I replied, and he rolled his eyes, lips pulling into a smile.

"Love, what are you talking about? My sense of justice is unmatchable," he retorted, and I chuckled.

"If you say so."

***********

Screw this.

What the fuck possessed me into staying behind?

I watched unamused as another prisoner was taken away, his verdict having been decided.

It was so boring.

I had interestedly paid attention to the first few cases but as the time dragged by, I had even managed to fall asleep for an hour before waking up.

Livius, having done this before, was already accustomed to the tiring flow of felons as he swiftly heard each case before issuing his response.

I watched tiredly as a guard introduced the next few wolves, and I found myself snapping up as I caught sight of Damien and the other few wolves who broke into my house about a week ago.

They all stepped forward, bowing before my mate, and Livius eyed them curiously, not recognizing them.

"Their crime?" he asked the unranked official to the right whom held all the paperwork.

"They are being charged for betraying their stations, and defying orders when on journey to a foreign nation with the King. In elaboration to my former statement, they ransacked the house of a nearby rogue, and therefore hindered the peace of the resident living in the unclaimed or in other words neutral territory," the man said, and Livius nodded in realization.

Damien gave me a pointed look before bowing his head again, and I broke out laughing, tears collecting in my eyes at the annoyed look on his face.

Livius turned to me, quirking a brow, before shaking his head. He then regarded them thoughtfully, as though unsure what to do.

"I must punish you all for your actions," he finally said, giving me a look as he stated his next sentence, "regardless of what they resulted in."

"Even if you happened to break into the house of my mate, the fact remains that you entered someone's home without consent, and with the intention to cause harm to the resident, and their property," he told them, shaking his head.

"This was an embarrassment that has not only reflected badly on you all, but on my guard. I cannot let this slide," my mate continued, eyes cold. 

Livius sighed, having decided, "You are no longer my warriors. You will pack your things and leave the palace immediately," he ordered, voice ringing in finality and all of them stiffened.