Moonlight Exploits

I never knew you could have moonlight in your hands,

Till the night I held you.
______________________

"Alexandria."

I turned on my side, attempting to block out the familiar voice that was urging me to wake up.

"Alexandria, wake up," the voice urged, and I swatted in his direction.

"Let me sleep Alexius," I groaned, my eyes still closed.

I heard him sigh, "I mean it, Alexandria. This is serious. Wake up."

Perhaps it was the slight crack in his voice towards the end, or the way his hand kept coming up to gently shake me awake, but I somehow knew that something truly was wrong. That something unbelievably horrible had occurred, and the last thing I should be doing right now was sleeping.

So I got up...

And the nightmare began.

Rubbing the tiredness out of my eyes, I met my older brothers gaze, my brows dipping in confusion. "What is it, Alex?"

"We have to go," he said, frantically running a hand through his hair, an action he always did when he was nervous. "I need to get you down to the cellars..."

Throwing my legs off the side of the bed, I wrapped an arm around myself, my heart beating erratically in my chest. "Alexius, what's going on?"

"Nothing," he shook his head and flashed me a forced smile, his pearly white teeth never showing. "I'm sure this is all just a misunderstanding. But let's get you down there just to be safe."

I nodded, not fully believing his words as I slipped my small hand into his own, and followed him out of his bedroom. I noticed how his grip slightly tightened on my hand, how his head was covered in a layer of sweat, and his eyes were filled with a strange determination.

He was practically dragging me along with him, his stride much longer than mine.

What was he rushing for?

I suddenly paused as the deep feral sound of several animalistic growls reached my ears. I was already sure they belonged to a wolves. A few very large wolves.

Alexius turned to look at me, his eyes narrowing expectantly, "Alexandria, we don't have tim-"

"Not that way," I cut him off, my voice sounding much more authoritative than one would expect from an eight year old. I shoved away the fear that shook my body, and pointed down another hall.

I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know which intruders had managed to get into my home. But I knew my senses, and I knew what I had just heard.

Alexius always listened to me when it came to my hearing. He was a full fae. He lacked the heightened senses of a werewolf. But I didn't.

I watched as he nodded in understanding before proceeding to pull me down another hallway, his hand never letting go of my own as I helplessly stumbled behind him. "Alexius, where are mom and dad?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

His jaw clenched, eyes flaring with something akin to helplessness. "Somewhere safe."

"Are you sure?"

My question landed on deaf ears as a loud growl filled the hall we were in, and we both whirled around only to meet the gaze of a tall man with an intimidating set of cat like green eyes.